Will tail lights be weak link?

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL
With the tail lights sticking out so far and having the BLIS sensor in them, will these be hunks of very expensive plastic that break quickly because of being hit by something? I haven't seen the Raptor in person yet, so I don't know how far they really stick out and if they are protected in any way, but to me, they could be a problem. I was watching the video of the guys who drove a junked stripped bronco down a tough route in Moab, and the tail lights broke against an obstacle - and this was a standard bronco, not a Raptor. I'm just surprised no one has come up with a metal cage or something to protect them. I know Oracle came up with new tail lights for the standard, but with the BLIS sensors we would be out of luck.

Cupholders

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2022
Gallery
Mass
Military
Army & Air National Guard
Current Ride
Jeep Rubicon
Metal cage doesn’t work. I’ve seen several Jeeps back into something with a cage. Instead of a broken light they ended up with pushed in sheetmetal. Of course a replacement light on a Jeep is cheap compared to the Raptor I’m sure, just something to keep in mind

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
With the tail lights sticking out so far and having the BLIS sensor in them, will these be hunks of very expensive plastic that break quickly because of being hit by something? I haven't seen the Raptor in person yet, so I don't know how far they really stick out and if they are protected in any way, but to me, they could be a problem. I was watching the video of the guys who drove a junked stripped bronco down a tough route in Moab, and the tail lights broke against an obstacle - and this was a standard bronco, not a Raptor. I'm just surprised no one has come up with a metal cage or something to protect them. I know Oracle came up with new tail lights for the standard, but with the BLIS sensors we would be out of luck.
You're talking about Loren Healy doing Pritchett Canyon...that's a route that would scar up pretty much any stock vehicle (that's generally a trail only done these days with UTV/ATV's), and he pretty much admitted that he could have avoided it. Like you said he was driving a Bronco "junker", and in the way that Ultra 4 racers do.

They do look like they stick out an extra inch or two, but I'm not too concerned yet. Heck, the flares would be broken off first!

Last edited:

Rob41

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2022
Gallery
Northern MI
For the overwhelming majority of BRaptor owners I suspect this will be a non issue as they won't be seeing situations where the tail lights are in jeopardy.

As brought up by Cupholders, I too have seen the metal cages cause body damage. If the design ends up being in peril, I'm sure some entrepreneur will come up with a flatter solution.

cardad

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Moab
Current Ride
Rivian R1T
Current Ride #2
Jeep Wrangler 4xe
The Bronco's weak link is the width obviously. You'll need to carry two sets of hedge clippers for any kind of forested drive if you want to save your paint. The BR tail lights actually offer more protection (forget what it's called) than the stock Bronco.

OP
luterdan

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL
The Bronco's weak link is the width obviously. You'll need to carry two sets of hedge clippers for any kind of forested drive if you want to save your paint. The BR tail lights actually offer more protection (forget what it's called) than the stock Bronco.
Limb risers could be your friends too I guess

cardad

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Moab
Current Ride
Rivian R1T
Current Ride #2
Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Limb risers could be your friends too I guess
Limb risers don’t save you from overgrown low brush. A couple of those and your paint is ruined. Might as well be running trails with no body panels or doors.

What could be cool is a bolt on polycarbonate panel kit that integrates the fenders. Throw them on and worry less about scratches (4 pieces).

Rob41

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2022
Gallery
Northern MI
There are numerous vinyl wraps specifically targeting off roaders to protect their paint from minor scratches.

I'll be adding a wrap to my whole hood in a finish that matches the fender flares and have the lower portion of the body including rockers, treated with a clear scratchguard coating. I'll still get Michigan racing stripes but will mitigate some of them. It sure isn't going to keep me from the trails.

At the end of the day, if you're doing any real offroading it doesn't matter how much you try to avoid it, you're gonna get some scratches in your paint at the very least.

BRVOL

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
East TN
Military
US ARMY
Current Ride
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
Current Ride #2
2002 BMW 1150RT
The taillights paper to be well built. You will have to smack the side or rear bumper hard to get at them as well unless you hit something at their height and at a weird angle. Plus that rear tire is going to be a pretty good bumper. Hopefully the 360 camera will work well and help protect against hitting anything as well.

Top Member Reactions