53,000 Fords parked and waiting to get chips!

Rob41

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2022
Gallery
Northern MI
Saw this article in a few places today:

"Here’s How Many Ford Vehicles Are Currently Parked and Waiting for Chips

May 10, 2022
In the latest earnings call with analysts, John Lawler, the company’s Chief Financial Officer, actually provided a clearer picture of the existing inventory of unfinished vehicles.
Lawler says Ford currently has “about 53,000 vehicles on wheels, completed but awaiting installation of components affected by the semiconductor supply shortage.
The Ford executive later revealed that the F-Series and the Explorer are among the models that are part of this sitting inventory.
Ford has recently revealed another strategy to deal with the chip shortage, as the company says it’s directing all of its resources to its most profitable models. In other words, the models that are bringing home the bacon are getting the necessary chips, while those that are selling in small volumes would wait for even more for the semiconductors they need to power certain systems.
You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what are Ford’s most profitable models, as the lineup includes the F-150, the Explorer, and the Mustang Mach-E. But on the other hand, those who ordered a less popular model would have to wait for even more to get their hands on their vehicle, with some customers claiming the waiting times are now reaching 9 to 12 months."

I will likely be one of the last ones here to get mine delivered. Does anybody know what happens if they are unable to deliver my 2022 in the 2022 year? Do they just say, bummer, sorry it's late?

Waiting Broncos 1.jpg

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
Saw this article in a few places today:

"Here’s How Many Ford Vehicles Are Currently Parked and Waiting for Chips

May 10, 2022
In the latest earnings call with analysts, John Lawler, the company’s Chief Financial Officer, actually provided a clearer picture of the existing inventory of unfinished vehicles.
Lawler says Ford currently has “about 53,000 vehicles on wheels, completed but awaiting installation of components affected by the semiconductor supply shortage.
The Ford executive later revealed that the F-Series and the Explorer are among the models that are part of this sitting inventory.
Ford has recently revealed another strategy to deal with the chip shortage, as the company says it’s directing all of its resources to its most profitable models. In other words, the models that are bringing home the bacon are getting the necessary chips, while those that are selling in small volumes would wait for even more for the semiconductors they need to power certain systems.
You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what are Ford’s most profitable models, as the lineup includes the F-150, the Explorer, and the Mustang Mach-E. But on the other hand, those who ordered a less popular model would have to wait for even more to get their hands on their vehicle, with some customers claiming the waiting times are now reaching 9 to 12 months."

I will likely be one of the last ones here to get mine delivered. Does anybody know what happens if they are unable to deliver my 2022 in the 2022 year? Do they just say, bummer, sorry it's late?

View attachment 1092
There are other threads on the same sites you got this from that will answer that question. Just keep reading.
Good search terms are “ice mountain”, and “MY21 delivery”…😉

Last edited:
OP
Rob41

Rob41

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2022
Gallery
Northern MI
There are other threads on the same sites you got this from that will answer that question. Just keep reading.
I must have read at least 40 pages of the Ice Mountain related material. What a shit show Ford has on their hands. Lots of 2021 model folks still haven't taken delivery.

So a couple years from now when I see a 2021 or 2022 Bronco that says always garaged kept I'll have good reason to doubt that!

OP
Rob41

Rob41

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2022
Gallery
Northern MI
I must have read at least 40 pages of the Ice Mountain related material. What a shit show Ford has on their hands. Lots of 2021 model folks still haven't taken delivery.

So a couple years from now when I see a 2021 or 2022 Bronco that says always garaged kept I'll have good reason to doubt that!

Now I'm wondering how long a bronco has to be at Ice Mountain to be considered vintage. Either way I will wait :)

Last edited:

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU

Now I'm wondering how long a bronco has to be at Ice Mountain to be considered vintage. Either way I will wait :)
It's been a long haul for many of us. I'm excited about my upcoming build week (5/30) but the realist in me says to be patient and to expect a few more rough waters. Even the Raptor is not immune...

Top Member Reactions