Anyone know what weight capacity of the tail gate and/or spare tire mount is?

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
I’ve recently thrown a Trailgater table (26 lbs) on my tailgate full time and have set up Rock Slide EZ Rack with 2 Rotopax DLX mounts and two 3 gallon Rotopax gas containers (28 lbs) for situational use and 6 gallons of gas (36 lbs) with my stock base rim and tire. So up to an additional 90 lbs on the occasional extended off-road trip hanging on the tail gate. Heck I could easily see another 10 lbs when using the table (camp stove, etc).

Anyone know the upper limit? Other thoughts? Probably should have thought this through before!

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I’ve recently thrown a Trailgater table (26 lbs) on my tailgate full time and have set up Rock Slide EZ Rack with 2 Rotopax DLX mounts and two 3 gallon Rotopax gas containers (28 lbs) for situational use and 6 gallons of gas (36 lbs) with my stock base rim and tire. So up to an additional 90 lbs on the occasional extended off-road trip hanging on the tail gate. Heck I could easily see another 10 lbs when using the table (camp stove, etc).

Anyone know the upper limit? Other thoughts? Probably should have thought this through before!
I was wondering the same when I seen the rotopax, I had forgot about the table. I searched the Owners manual to no avail. Makes me wonder if anyone knows the answer yet. FP may or may not want to comment.
To play if safe, once the rotopax are full of gas, don't open the tailgate without first removing both gas containers.

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
I was wondering the same when I seen the rotopax, I had forgot about the table. I searched the Owners manual to no avail. Makes me wonder if anyone knows the answer yet. FP may or may not want to comment.
To play if safe, once the rotopax are full of gas, don't open the tailgate without first removing both gas containers.
Now that I think about it, with how high they ride on the tire, it’s probably a great idea taking those off before cooking on the tailgate too!!!

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
This is the exact reason I’ve never considered any spare tire mounted rack or strap. We all know that one of the problems that delayed the OKTB decision last summer had to do with the spare tire mount. I figure it best not to tempt fate.

Plus I like to open the tailgate a lot when I’m wheeling, camping, fetching cocktails 🤪

OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
This is the exact reason I’ve never considered any spare tire mounted rack or strap. We all know that one of the problems that delayed the OKTB decision last summer had to do with the spare tire mount. I figure it best not to tempt fate.

Plus I like to open the tailgate a lot when I’m wheeling, camping, fetching cocktails 🤪
I bought it thinking it might be a temporary solution, it looks like it may end up more temporary than I thought!

It‘ll make do until I can decide on a rack, probably TrailRax.

cerudolph

Aug 20, 2023
Seattle WA
Current Ride
Bronco Raptoe
Current Ride #2
Tesla plaid
Bumping this thread. I have an ARB dual compressor mounted behind the spare tire. I'd like to mount a tailgate table, but worried about weight.

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
Bumping this thread. I have an ARB dual compressor mounted behind the spare tire. I'd like to mount a tailgate table, but worried about weight.
I don’t think there are any published numbers from Ford regarding this, which isn’t surprising.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Welcome to BroncoRaptor.com! 🍻 I also haven't seen any published weights from Ford. We do know that the Bronco Raptor spare 37" tire with the heaviest optional wheel (forged beadlock capable) is only 12 pounds heavier that the Bronco sasquatch spare 35" tire/wheel combo. Ford felt that for only 12 lbs additional that our Bronco Raptor swing gates needed the extra reinforcement, and it's worth noting that the swing gate hinges have the identical hinge pin size. Also consider, we expect that Ford also calculated in the additional ~3.3 lbs for their actual beadlock rings if one was to convert to actual beadlocks.

The Available aluminum IAG tailgate reinforcement also doesn't provide any weight numbers, but these hinge pins appear to be a larger diameter.

cerudolph

Aug 20, 2023
Seattle WA
Current Ride
Bronco Raptoe
Current Ride #2
Tesla plaid
appreciate everyone's insights and comments. I recall seeing an accessory that limits how far the tailgate can swing out- but can't find it! Was thinking that it was a good way to help protect our tailgate.

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
appreciate everyone's insights and comments. I recall seeing an accessory that limits how far the tailgate can swing out- but can't find it! Was thinking that it was a good way to help protect our tailgate.
How do you think it will help? Just trying to figure out what you are thinking. Thanks

Last edited:

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
After reviewing the product in more detail, i see it doesn't really help with reducing the impact of additional weight.
Yes it seems to help the door not swing as much with the additional weight.

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
Do you notice any difference with the ARB installed.? I am pretty sure I want to go this route. It can't be much weight.

Thanks

Magic

Aug 13, 2022
Gallery
Fredericksburg, Texas
Current Ride
2012 Ford F150
Current Ride #2
2021 MME GT-PE
Ford Performance online site - "The Jack Mount stores an ARB JACK on the inside of the Ford Bronco tailgate" Total weight added for the jack and mounting bracket is 53 lbs. Got one on my BRaptor!

M-1830-BM_V2.JPG

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
Good question! I only added the molle panel storage on mine, but was still worried about extra weight. I'm glad I waited until DV8 came out with their compressor storage/mounting solution.
I was on their web site and not sure what compressor solution you are looking at. I don't see one for the Raptor on their site. Can you please explain? Thanks

Johnny Mo

Nov 20, 2023
Gallery
Westchester County, NY
Current Ride
23 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
16 Ducati XDiavel
I was on their web site and not sure what compressor solution you are looking at. I don't see one for the Raptor on their site. Can you please explain? Thanks

Originally it said doesn't fit Raptor, but I ordered it anyway and it fits just fine - sent them pics and they updated it. Just need to shift where you place the insulating foil.

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2

Originally it said doesn't fit Raptor, but I ordered it anyway and it fits just fine - sent them pics and they updated it. Just need to shift where you place the insulating foil.
Great thanks for the reply.

Top Member Reactions