Anyone Thinking About Removing The Rear Spare Tire?

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
2022-ford-bronco_100825970_h.jpeg

Is anyone thinking about removing the rear spare tire for just running around town? I've heard a number of reviews talking about the limited rear visibility because of the large 37-inch tire and it got me thinking about what the Bronco Raptor would look like without the rear tire and carrier. It would also drop a bunch of weight if it were removed. There are a few Jeeps in my town that run around without the rear spare tire on the back and I'm always surprised how much different they look without them.

Reactions: SBP

SBP

Founding Member
Feb 28, 2022
Gallery
Prineville, Oregon
Current Ride
69 Mach 1 R-code 428, 4spd
Current Ride #2
71 AMC Javelin 401, 4spd
I had thought about it. Without seeing what the taillight bracket looks like, I don't know if I would gain much visibility. Weight loss would be a highlight. Take a tire plug kit with me and a compressor and should be good to go. I do like the look with the tire though.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
From a rearward visibility standpoint you would also need to lower or replace the large 3rd (or is it now consided 5th) brake light since it's quite large. I personally like the looks of the rear spare tires, however show me a speed gain without and I may be persuaded.

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
A spare tire delete would be a significant project - more than I would want to take on for a part-time situation.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
A number of the times in the video's it was referred to the spare blocking rearward visibility. The photo shows the light is obstructing vision, but then it's up so high due to the tire.

1655863702117.png

OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
You would probably need some sort of delete kit to clean up where the brake light and tire carrier were removed, but I would imagine most of that stuff could just be unbolted and removed. I'm sure the brake light has a plug where it comes through the tailgate.

OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
A number of the times in the video's it was referred to the spare blocking rearward visibility. The photo shows the light is obstructing vision, but then it's up so high due to the tire.

View attachment 1406
That's the shot that got me thinking about a delete kit. I've never thought about removing it on my Sasquatch Badlands because I do like the look of having the spare on it, but it definitely would give it a unique look if there was a way to delete it.

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
That's the shot that got me thinking about a delete kit. I've never thought about removing it on my Sasquatch Badlands because I do like the look of having the spare on it, but it definitely would give it a unique look if there was a way to delete it.
There’s no doubt it could be deleted via some kit, or just via some wrenching. But it would clearly be a hassle to change it back and forth. I’d never be off-road without a spare.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Another thought, it may change the center of gravity adversely effecting handling, probably understeer, and when you launch it you don't want it nose heavy.

A delete kit would look cool if designed to incorporate the 3 lights, and it would remove over 100lbs.

Fukinstoned

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 8, 2022
Gallery
British Columbia
Is anyone thinking about removing the rear spare tire for just running around town? I've heard a number of reviews talking about the limited rear visibility because of the large 37-inch tire and it got me thinking about what the Bronco Raptor would look like without the rear tire and carrier. It would also drop a bunch of weight if it were removed. There are a few Jeeps in my town that run around without the rear spare tire on the back and I'm always surprised how much different they look without them.
No way.. love it and who wants to have no spare where I am in BC I see jeeps that have way bigger tires and they drive around with their “cool larger rim”as a spare but no rubber and that just says to me, yeah I bought the tires and rims but couldn’t be bothered to support the spare = my ride is a pavement princess and will never be off road 😂🤣😂 sorry not sorry

dblotb

Nov 17, 2022
Redondo Beach
Current Ride
Fj cruiser
Current Ride #2
model x
I want to remove mine. So i can stick my surfboards out the back. If someone can design one to look like the f150 raptor rear end with that plastic plate to cover the holes, i think it would be a dope look, plus 100 pounds lighter. Im in socal so not much off-roading here that can pop a tire.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I want to remove mine. So i can stick my surfboards out the back. If someone can design one to look like the f150 raptor rear end with that plastic plate to cover the holes, i think it would be a dope look, plus 100 pounds lighter. Im in socal so not much off-roading here that can pop a tire.
Welcome to BroncoRaptor.com! Cool idea on the tailgate panel :cool:

Bran

Founding Member
Sep 28, 2022
US
Current Ride
Ford Flex Ecoboost
I would consider a spare tire delete option for my (still just scheduled) Bronco Raptor. There are several aftermarket spare tire delete kits available for regular Broncos. One such kit option ‘excludes Bronco Raptor’ in its description, one allows Bronco Raptor to be selected (intentionally?), the rest do not seem to specify one way or another. I suspect that they all might work if one is willing to remove the existing Raptor-specific external rear gate reinforcement as well. If so, I wonder if removing the gate reinforcement would just simply make the rear gate look identical to a regular rear Bronco gate?

Odonnks

Feb 3, 2023
Gallery
PA
Current Ride
2017 Ford F350
Current Ride #2
2023 Bronco Raptor coming soon
I’d like to find a kit that would allow the spare to me mounted on the rear of the roof.

Top Member Reactions