Beadlock capable type 2

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL
Curious if the type 2 wheels/tires on the raptor are actual beadlock or are they just capable of beadlock but they are just standard mount. I’ve never had beadlock wheels and tires so I don’t know.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
That's a good question! I think they are all just beadlock capable and you will need to purchase a set of beadlock rings to make use of the beadlock feature. We should confirm this though.

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
Beadlocks are generally strictly for off-road use. I don’t think Ford sells the actual beadlock ring because then they’d have to get it DOT-approved to be street legal (which few manufacturers do)..

OP
luterdan

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL
So would it be “as easy” as changing out the bead lock trim ring for a true bead lock ring if you wanted it???

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
The Ford Performance Raptor Bead-Lock Ring kit has a shipping weight of 9.29 lbs. The same Raptor wheel beauty ring comes in package of 4 is 23.7 lbs, so about 5.93 lbs for one beauty ring. Therefore by adding the beadlock rings and bolts your adding about 3.3 lbs per wheel, probably less than I would have guessed.

A visual benefit is the rim width grows from 8.5" to approximately 9" thereby shifting the tire outer edge out by close to 1/2 inch which is noticeable.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
The Ford Performance Raptor Bead-Lock Ring kit has a shipping weight of 9.29 lbs. The same Raptor wheel beauty ring comes in package of 4 is 23.7 lbs, so about 5.93 lbs for one beauty ring. Therefore by adding the beadlock rings and bolts your adding about 3.3 lbs per wheel, probably less than I would have guessed.

A visual benefit is the rim width grows from 8.5" to approximately 9" thereby shifting the tire outer edge out by close to 1/2 inch which is noticeable.
Good to know! Sounds like adding the Bead-Lock Ring kit will make it beefier all the way around.

Jetg

Founding Member
Mar 9, 2022
Gallery
Houston, Tx
I would like to change the bolts to Zinc plated bolts and the ring black. What is the best option to match the wheel color? Paint? Powder coat? Do we know what the bolt sizes are so can be ordered via aftermarket? I think the Zinc bolts would stand out and look better on the black.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
I would like to change the bolts to Zinc plated bolts and the ring black. What is the best option to match the wheel color? Paint? Powder coat? Do we know what the bolt sizes are so can be ordered via aftermarket? I think the Zinc bolts would stand out and look better on the black.
I think the bolt size for the factory Bronco Raptor Bead-Lock wheels is M10x1.5mm and 25mm long. The Zinc bolts look good, but I hear they will rust if you live in a wintery climate. A lot of people seem to go with a stainless steel bolt to get a nice contrast, but do not have the worry of rusted bolt heads over time.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
I think the bolt size for the factory Bronco Raptor Bead-Lock wheels is M10x1.5mm and 25mm long. The Zinc bolts look good, but I hear they will rust if you live in a wintery climate. A lot of people seem to go with a stainless steel bolt to get a nice contrast, but do not have the worry of rusted bolt heads over time.
I think your paint options for the bead-lock rings depend on how you plan to use your Bronco Raptor. If it's mainly going to stay on-road and not see off-road rock crawling, then I would say powder coating would be a good way to go. If you're going to be doing lots of off-roading and you think the rings will take a lot of abuse, then I would just paint them at home. That way you can always pop them off when they get dinged up and repaint easily.

Cupholders

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2022
Gallery
Mass
Military
Army & Air National Guard
Current Ride
Jeep Rubicon
I think your paint options for the bead-lock rings depend on how you plan to use your Bronco Raptor. If it's mainly going to stay on-road and not see off-road rock crawling, then I would say powder coating would be a good way to go. If you're going to be doing lots of off-roading and you think the rings will take a lot of abuse, then I would just paint them at home. That way you can always pop them off when they get dinged up and repaint easily.
I like dinged up rings, it give just enough character. When I see a built up rig somewhere the first thing I look at is the wheels to see if it’s wheeled or a street rig.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
I like dinged up rings, it give just enough character. When I see a built up rig somewhere the first thing I look at is the wheels to see if it’s wheeled or a street rig.
Can't fake it if the rings are clean!

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I strongly recommend the stainless, which is Metric class 8.8 hardness or Metric class 10.9 bolts along with anti-seize on the threads due to dissimilar metals. Note the stainless can be polished.

69BroncoX302

Founding Member
Dec 5, 2021
Gallery
Utah
Ford performance bedlock rings installed. I recently finished installing tires to rim with rings as I got a second set of rims for the rings with Mickey Thompson tires; allowing for easy swaps. Should of put in a set of tpms sensors though. Oh well, I will do the same for the raptor.

Attachments

• 217532B7-D183-4665-969B-5BEB77EE9F88.jpeg
    217532B7-D183-4665-969B-5BEB77EE9F88.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 117

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Ford performance bedlock rings installed. I recently finished installing tires to rim with rings as I got a second set of rims for the rings with Mickey Thompson tires; allowing for easy swaps. Should of put in a set of tpms sensors though. Oh well, I will do the same for the raptor.
Very nice! Those look like some big beefy tires! What size are they?

cardad

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Moab
Current Ride
Rivian R1T
Current Ride #2
Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Beadlocks are generally strictly for off-road use. I don’t think Ford sells the actual beadlock ring because then they’d have to get it DOT-approved to be street legal (which few manufacturers do)..
Ford does sell the beadlock rings. They’re $770 and you can get 15% off with their promo.

Top Member Reactions