Apr 1, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Land Rover Defender
Greetings,

I was walking towards my truck yesterday and noticed a little part dangling where it shouldn’t.
IMG_3476.jpeg
The cheap plastic arm on the drivers rear ride height sensor is broken. I am not sure when it happened. Haven’t done any off reading yet (I know, just a pavement princess so far) About nine months ago I did notice a change in suspension response to a particular stretch of road where I began to get what I call “axle hop“ on a 30 degree leftward curve that has lots of potholes. Rear axle would jump a little and I feel the backend kick out slightly. The only reason I noticed is my old solid rear axle tahoe used to do the same thing in this stretch of road and the raptor didn’t at first. It just floated right over that section staying tight to the road. I had it in to the dealer for an oil change and told them about the issue. They were unable to reproduce it so nothing was done. Now I’m wondering if this will fix the problem. I’ve ordered a new part. Couldn’t find just the arm so I bought the whole sensor and bracket for $95.
I would think that I should have some error codes since the sensor isnt getting normal data, but no abs or traction control faults. I do not have an obd code reader. Question for those with more knowledge. Can I just replace the arm or should I put the whole new sensor on? The broken arm popped off the connectors pretty easily. Also, if I do replace the sensor, does this one need to be calibrated in any way? Trying to avoid a trip to the dealer. I could prob go to local auto zone and borrow a code reader and see if there are any dtc after the fix.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Unfortunate but I’m not surprised. Ford should have a shield/deflector in this location. You’re the first we have heard on this forum to have the sensor arm break, but won’t be the last. If the arm removes easily on the new part I would just replace the arm reducing risk of needing a relearn, saving the remainder of the assembly for spare parts.

Here is my post awhile back about this sensor being quite vulnerable, however just like you eluded to, I was expecting it to break during off Roading.

The Ford Race Bronco Raptor has a metal shield protecting the rear lower control arm position sensor, shown below.

1716778368066.png

As shown in this thread:

Last edited:
Unfortunate but I’m not surprised. Ford should have a shield/deflector in this location. You’re the first we have heard on this forum to have the sensor arm break, but won’t be the last. If the arm removes easily on the new part I would just replace the arm reducing risk of needing a relearn, saving the remainder of the assembly for spare parts.

Here is my post awhile back about this sensor being quite vulnerable, however just like you eluded to, I was expecting it to break during off Roading.

The Ford Race Bronco Raptor has a metal shield protecting the rear lower control arm position sensor, shown below.

Thanks for the response. I am waiting on the part, probably next week before it arrives. I likely won't resurrect this thread unless something unusual happens when I swap in the new sensor parts!

Back