Bronco Raptor on the Highway - Thoughts?

SVL

Jan 18, 2023
Chicago, IL
Current Ride
21 Tahoe
Current Ride #2
'21 Tesla Plaid, '03 SVT Cobra
Any early owners had the truck out on the highway for an extended trip? Wondering about wind and tire noise at steady 75-85 MPH.

Thanks!

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
I have done a 4 hour roadtrip on the highway at these speeds, tire noise isn't that bad, wind noise is a different story. Its not unbearable, and if you turn up the stereo a bit you will be fine. But, its definitely not quiet either. Our other SUV is a 21 Range Rover, which is night and day difference in terms of blocking road noise.

LethalJoe

Supporting Vendor
Oct 20, 2022
Gallery
South Florida
Current Ride
12' CTS-V
Any early owners had the truck out on the highway for an extended trip? Wondering about wind and tire noise at steady 75-85 MPH.

Thanks!

We actually had to take our BRaptor about 150 miles from our dealer Weikert Ford back to Lethal HQ when we first picked it up and honestly, I felt it was extremely quiet for what it is.

On our way to the dealer, we rode up in a Mach E, which being a fairly aerodynamic, electric car, it tends to have a very quiet highway ride. On the way back down, I remember joking that the BRaptor was almost just as quiet as the Mach-E, but in all honesty, it was very comfortable and no where near overwhelming. Compared to our 2021 First Edition Sasquatch Bronco, they clearly made some improvements in hardtop sealing and quality as far as cabin noise is concerned.

Of course, if you're coming from a higher-end car, such as your Tesla Plaid, you're going to pick out the cabin noise pretty quickly on the highway. Although, compared to the regular Bronco or Jeep, it's a huge improvement and certainly quieter than I expected.

OP
SVL

SVL

Jan 18, 2023
Chicago, IL
Current Ride
21 Tahoe
Current Ride #2
'21 Tesla Plaid, '03 SVT Cobra
We actually had to take our BRaptor about 150 miles from our dealer Weikert Ford back to Lethal HQ when we first picked it up and honestly, I felt it was extremely quiet for what it is.

On our way to the dealer, we rode up in a Mach E, which being a fairly aerodynamic, electric car, it tends to have a very quiet highway ride. On the way back down, I remember joking that the BRaptor was almost just as quiet as the Mach-E, but in all honesty, it was very comfortable and no where near overwhelming. Compared to our 2021 First Edition Sasquatch Bronco, they clearly made some improvements in hardtop sealing and quality as far as cabin noise is concerned.

Of course, if you're coming from a higher-end car, such as your Tesla Plaid, you're going to pick out the cabin noise pretty quickly on the highway. Although, compared to the regular Bronco or Jeep, it's a huge improvement and certainly quieter than I expected.
Thank you. Funny that you mention the Plaid - wind noise is ALL you hear at highway speeds...oddly makes it seem louder than it really is.

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
Thank you. Funny that you mention the Plaid - wind noise is ALL you hear at highway speeds...oddly makes it seem louder than it really is.
It's all about signal-to-noise ratio (or signal-to-ambient noise).

I agree with a couple posters here, not too bad at regular freeway speeds. Now if you want to floor it, mmm...that's a different story.

DdYHrse

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Feb 15, 2022
Gallery
Dallas, TX
Stock tires are nothing noise wise, but even with the sound deadening headliner there is definitely some wind noise at 80mph. What are you going to do though? Just some plastic between your head and the wind. It isn't loud enough to not be able to talk to passengers, but you may have to turn up the volume knob a couple clicks from where it was at 40mph.

Fukinstoned

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 8, 2022
Gallery
British Columbia

Thanks!
We drove 1700KM home once we picked up ours that’s 1056 miles… it was amazing I had heard some rumblings of noise but the tires were quieter than on my 1700km trip there with my Colorado ZR2 (those stock tires suck) not much noise at all to be honest, tho we were also testing everything else, sound system etc but it completely exceeded all our expectations, hands down best off road vehicle I’ve had! Way nicer ride and sounds than my previous Rubicons 😉 and believe me we also tested those 420 horses too LOL

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor

Thanks!
Check out our video forum section, there are many on-road reviews from those that test drive all makes & models. We also have a review articles thread.
Tire noise I don't notice as the K02's are amazingly quiet for an off-road tire on any vehicle. There is some wind noise around the near vertical windshield, not nearly as noticeable as my wrangler, but will never be as quiet as a aerodynamically sloped windshield designed in a windtunnel as found on any other modern on-road vehicle. Even the G-Wagon has wind noise around the near vertical windshield.
The Bronco Raptor at highways speeds is amazingly stable due to track width, low center of gravity relative to height and track width, extremely solid suspension components, and the active suspension that is continously reacting to road/terrain conditions including cross winds.
The biggest surprise for myself even after watching all the videos and reading the articles was the on-road and highway driving experience. It's fun with it's commanding high driving view, quick shifting auto rev matching trans that has the exhaust emitting little blurps, nice titanium shift paddles if you prefer shifting, smooth ride over anything, solid communicative feel to the steering considering 10" sidewall tires, and front row seating that is near perfect for this vehicle.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Living in DFW I can't avoid a highway for anything. With <500 mi in it so far I can tell you is the wind noise is dramatically less than from my JLU. But I've also found it's really dependent on wind direction in relation to your direction of travel. With the wind, no perceptible wind noise at all. Into the wind or decent crosswind, it's noticeable but not annoying. I took it about 90 mi north the other day and the drive up was into a 10-15 mph wind and not that big a deal at all. Was actually windier when I was heading back but you wouldn't have known it from the drive as it was all at my back.

Hope that helps.

Toffs

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2022
Gallery
Atlanta
I had a 6 hour road trip with my Raptor and can honestly say I have zero issues with road or wind noise. My cruise control was set at 79 for a long period of time. I previously drove a 2011 F150 Raptor and find little difference between the two when driving on the interstate. Is the Bronco Raptor as quiet as my wife's BMW X5? No. But I never expected that either. Additionally, my wife does not perceive the Bronco Raptor to be loud or noisy on the interstates. We have only taken the Bronco Raptor off road once, on what was described as a medium difficulty trail. I never left two wheel drive on that trail -- it ran the trail and obstacles like it was on the interstate. Love this truck -- can't wait to open air drive it!

TATRunner

Jan 23, 2023
Chicago
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2020 F250 Tremor
Just got back from a 3 hr ride. Smooth as can be. Cruises at 85 no problem. Your mpg will be crap (or more crap with the Raptor). The wind noise doesn't bother me, but 75-80+ it can get intrusive.

Reactions: SVL

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
I have done a 4 hour roadtrip on the highway at these speeds, tire noise isn't that bad, wind noise is a different story. Its not unbearable, and if you turn up the stereo a bit you will be fine. But, its definitely not quiet either. Our other SUV is a 21 Range Rover, which is night and day difference in terms of blocking road noise.
I get the responses about range rovers and bmw’s being much quieter than broncos on the highway. But no offense but those vehicles are not convertibles and their doors do not come off. Different animal all together.

FellowM3

Nov 8, 2022
North Jersey
Current Ride
22' Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
G20 M340
Took the bronco on a 1500 mile trip, 11 hours each way. Approx 75-80 mph average

Cabin was quieter than I was intending, and I never intended it to be loud. It is louder than a typical SUV, but not dramatically so. It has some wind noise, but not so loud you cant have a normal conversation.

With music on as well, I didn't even really tell a difference.

Pleasantly surprised with how good a daily this rig is. For its size, it handles and drives around easy, and cabin is nice for its capabilities.

cardad

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Moab
Current Ride
Rivian R1T
Current Ride #2
Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Took the bronco on a 1500 mile trip, 11 hours each way. Approx 75-80 mph average

Cabin was quieter than I was intending, and I never intended it to be loud. It is louder than a typical SUV, but not dramatically so. It has some wind noise, but not so loud you cant have a normal conversation.

With music on as well, I didn't even really tell a difference.

Pleasantly surprised with how good a daily this rig is. For its size, it handles and drives around easy, and cabin is nice for its capabilities.
Has anyone noticed a wind noise coming from the driver side seal? I think my door seals are bad or improperly installed because at any speed above 20 mph there is a noticeable wind noise from the front seal area. The seal also has a visible crease inside where it isn’t lying flat. Obviously with the stereo on you can’t hear it so it’s not that bad.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Has anyone noticed a wind noise coming from the driver side seal? I think my door seals are bad or improperly installed because at any speed above 20 mph there is a noticeable wind noise from the front seal area. The seal also has a visible crease inside where it isn’t lying flat. Obviously with the stereo on you can’t hear it so it’s not that bad.
Take a couple pics of the area in question and I'll post the same from mine for your comparison.

djc007x

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Washington, DC
Does the regular f150 Raptor have the same FCKED up wind noise? I'd really love those owners to weigh in

cardad

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Moab
Current Ride
Rivian R1T
Current Ride #2
Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Take a couple pics of the area in question and I'll post the same from mine for your comparison.
You can see in the top corner there’s a crease in the seal that doesn’t sit flush. I don’t know if the crease is the problem but I can basically put my finger in between the seal and the glass up in the corner whereas everywhere else it is tight and that is where the noise comes from.

Attachments

• D4832778-DF3F-4650-805D-88C1CDDF9EC1.jpeg
    D4832778-DF3F-4650-805D-88C1CDDF9EC1.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 58

djc007x

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Washington, DC
You can see in the top corner there’s a crease in the seal that doesn’t sit flush. I don’t know if the crease is the problem but I can basically put my finger in between the seal and the glass up in the corner whereas everywhere else it is tight and that is where the noise comes from.
What can you suggest to fix this? Maybe a memo to Ford or some kind of Joint complaint? The team who put this Raptor together had to of known about the highway wind noise..

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
If unable to manipulate the seal to lay flat, I would visit or make an appointment with your dealer for a seal adjustment.
8369D889-9741-46B1-BFBE-AD33A549AA5F.jpeg

Passenger side has a little crease in corner but I haven’t observed any wind noise intrusion.
22CA7269-AC98-4F6D-97C0-77DAEAB5FC8A.jpeg

Last edited:

braptor0074

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2022
Gallery
Pennsylvania

Thanks!
Had 2 highway trips and honestly the wind noise at highway speed is the one complaint I have with the brapto. I’ve had Wrangler hard tops in the past so I had certain expectations but wind noise is loud and I’m searching for solutions.

Reactions: SVL

Top Member Reactions