Oct 14, 2022
Gallery
Mesa, AZ
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Gen 3 Raptor
Hey everyone,

we just recently released our Bronco Raptor full skid plate kit. Cant wait to get it dirty.

https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/co...co/products/202-ford-bronco-raptor-skid-plate
IMG_2014.JPEG
IMG_2015.JPEG
IMG_2016.JPEG
IMG_2017.JPEG
IMG_2018.JPEG
IMG_2021.JPEG
IMG_2022.JPEG

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired
Greg,
The engine and transmission skids are awesome. Full coverage - that's what I like! The transfer case skid looks small and unsupported. How about running it all the way over to the fuel tank skid?

OP
GregFoutz

GregFoutz

Supporting Vendor
Founding Member
Oct 14, 2022
Gallery
Mesa, AZ
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Gen 3 Raptor
Greg,
The engine and transmission skids are awesome. Full coverage - that's what I like! The transfer case skid looks small and unsupported. How about running it all the way over to the fuel tank skid?
in person it is actually pretty strong due to the way its bent and shaped. it goes up under the main skid to mount and bolt in that you cant see in the pictures well. We also add an additional support cross member to the transmission cross member that it all bolts up to which adds a bunch of strength there.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Nicely done! I assume the small removable panel at the front is to gain access to the oil drain plug?

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
My guess is no. It is a bump out for the front diff (yellow arrow). The oil drain plug (red arrow) is on the passenger side of the plastic oil pan (and drains to the passenger side). It appears that the entire skid plate needs to be removed; same as the OEM.
oil.png Screenshot 2023-02-03 065809.jpg

The oil drains with a pretty good stream at first; be ready with your bucket. :oops:
I recommend the UPR drain plug to control the flow. A small hose can also be attached to direct the flow.
Ditch the crappy Ford plastic oil plug!

Screenshot 2023-02-03 082647.jpg

Last edited:

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
LOVE that rear diff skid. (FMI0206000120NA01)
Is it 3/16" steel? Any concern about protecting the pinion gear (i.e. extending the skid forward 3-4")? Does it come powder-coated? A lot of good stuff coming out of FMI. :love:
Screenshot 2023-02-03 074849.jpg Screenshot 2023-02-03 074730.jpg

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
Just installed the Foutz Differential skid… very pleased.

Definitely heavy duty skid and hardware. Fit like it was designed by Ford engineers. Easy to bolt on, but no wiggle room.

installation of the skid was super quick. I torqued the differential cover bolts to 33 ft lbs (OEM spec for F150 Raptor is all I found). Hardest part was getting one side of the bracket bolted together and that wasn’t hard, just limited space to work in so I needed to switch out ratchets.

The hardest part of the whole experience was filing down my OEM differential cover bolts so I could get a socket on them. Do yourself and @GregFoutz a favor and buy this BEFORE you drag your differential over some rocks.

I’m sure there are other good options out there, but I don’t think you can go wrong with Foutz on this one.

P.S. The installation instructions are for regular Bronco, so don’t get excited when you only get 5 differential cover bolts vs. 6 in the picture. 5 is the correct number.

OP
GregFoutz

GregFoutz

Supporting Vendor
Founding Member
Oct 14, 2022
Gallery
Mesa, AZ
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Gen 3 Raptor
Nicely done! I assume the small removable panel at the front is to gain access to the oil drain plug?
bump out to protect the front diff. it was too close with out the bump out and didnt want to lower the rest of the skid kit to get it low enough to have some room there. Plus the bump out adds some strength in that area.

OP
GregFoutz

GregFoutz

Supporting Vendor
Founding Member
Oct 14, 2022
Gallery
Mesa, AZ
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Gen 3 Raptor

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Is the install as straightforward as removing the 5 bolts from the Diff cover, placing the skid and then replacing with the new bolts along with bolting on the front support bracket?

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Yes. It’s that easy.

Unless you’ve scuffed your OEM differential cover bolts. It took a little filing of the bolt heads before I could slip the socket on to remove two of them. Otherwise, this is super easy.

Also Plenty of room to do it with the truck on the ground.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Thanks...thought so but figured better off to ask in advance. While rock crawling isn't really my primary interest, I realized during the trail rides at Raptor OR last week that a diff skid is probably still a great idea as it only takes one little misjudgment to potentially ruin the day.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
The day I my skid was delivered to the house, I was in the mountains in the rain wheeling and got my differential hung between two rocks on an optional obstacle. Couldn’t go forward, couldn’t go back and I was digging myself deeper in the mud. Fortunately a few well placed stacked rocks and my winch popped me up and over, but not before grinding the aforementioned bolts!

I just couldn’t wait! Ha ha
IMG_7383.jpeg

IMG_7385.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7381.jpeg
    IMG_7381.jpeg
    639 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
yes 3/16 steel and comes powder coated black and with longer rear cover bolts to replace the stock ones.
When back in AZ mid November I will be contacting you for some stuff. Perhaps I could drop by your shop and determine what works for me. Look forward till then. You are only about 4 hours away. Thanks

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Any idea what the torque specs are for the diff cover? I’ve seen 25 ft-lbs for the normal Bronco but not sure if the same for the BRaptor.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
Thanks. I had mine set to 30 ft-lbs. I was planning on going back and double-checking in the next couple of days so will target 33. It’s a standard ”analog” torque wrench (ie not digital) so I’m sure there‘s some variance in the setting anyway.

Top Member Reactions