Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired
Any idea what the torque specs are for the diff cover? I’ve seen 25 ft-lbs for the normal Bronco but not sure if the same for the BRaptor.
Broncos w/ M220 rear diff is 117 in-lb for cover bolts. I have not seen a torque spec for Broncos w/ Dana 50 M235 rear diff (Raptor). I forgot to record the torque value during my FMI diff skid install. :unsure:

1693781498521.png Interesting test results on torque to faliure.
Yes, F-150 Raptor is 33 ft-lb.
F-250, which also has a Dana 50 rear diff, is 30 ft-lb. Hence, 30 is my number.

Last edited:

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 BMW GS 1250 Adventure
Well I bit the bullet and booked an instal at Foutz for the end of November.

Jake at Foutz is a pleasure to deal with. It will take about 4-5 hours for below:

1) Rear lower arm frame gaurds
2) Rear Differential skid plate
3) Rear shock mount skids
4) Billet half tie rod kit
5) Tie rod nut and support tube for 16mm
5) FMI main skid plate

We plan to do a lot of off roading over the winter. Moab, King of Hammers and a ton of local trails. I seem to end up in remote places by myself as well so I want all the protection I can get. These seem reasonable for the way I go at it.

I was wondering if I really needed the FMI skid but I think it does add a lot.

Of course I will take some pic after instal and let you know when I scratch it up.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor

Jake at Foutz is a pleasure to deal with. It will take about 4-5 hours for below:

5) FMI main skid plate

We plan to do a lot of off roading over the winter. Moab, King of Hammers and a ton of local trails. I seem to end up in remote places by myself as well so I want all the protection I can get. These seem reasonable for the way I go at it.

Of course I will take some pic after instal and let you know when I scratch it up.
While you wait....

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110

5) FMI main skid plate

Nice list. I’ve got 1 through 3, probably get 4 and 5 soon and save as spares until I do other front end work.

I like that full skid too. The OEM skids leave some gaps, but they do the job (for now). Just wish they protected the cross member better.

I’m looking forward to the finished product!

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
Nice list. I’ve got 1 through 3, probably get 4 and 5 soon and save as spares until I do other front end work.

I like that full skid too. The OEM skids leave some gaps, but they do the job (for now). Just wish they protected the cross member better.

I’m looking forward to the finished product!
Thanks. I've been watching your progress. Other front end work? You may have mentioned this before but I missed it.

The main skid plate Jake was saying that it is much more robust and you could even slide on it if need be. I don't plan on doing that; however, the more protection the better. The front skid is stout so adding this will bring it up to that kind of protection. I was on the fence since I thought it may be overkill, but I am there getting things installed so it seemed reasonable to do it all at the same time. I don't think I will regret it.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
No specific plans for front end at this point other than mild lift (all the way around for future taller tires) and half tie rods / brace. if I get a wild hair, an upgraded steering box and full tie rods.

Have you/will you install frame mounted sliders before you visit Foutz? I think you’d be better off having that sorted, then let them work around the sliders in the install. The lower guard mounts share space on the frame and engine/tranny skids look like they may access for installing sliding hard ware more challenging. Hard to say for sure though.

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
No specific plans for front end at this point other than mild lift (all the way around for future taller tires) and half tie rods / brace. if I get a wild hair, an upgraded steering box and full tie rods.

Have you/will you install frame mounted sliders before you visit Foutz? I think you’d be better off having that sorted, then let them work around the sliders in the install. The lower guard mounts share space on the frame and engine/tranny skids look like they may access for installing sliding hard ware more challenging. Hard to say for sure though.
You make a good point. I may have put the cart before the horse. RCI has an 6 - 8 week average lead time with their sliders according to their web site.

I don't do a lot of rock crawling but when I get out with a bunch of guys all bets are off. Hopefully, for now the stock sliders will do their job and protect. It is easy to come down on a rock at anytime even just on a rocky trial.

I will look at the RCI down the road. I know you had to improvise to put them on with the Foutz bracket sliders. It would have been good to have them on before. I will talk with Jake at Foutz when I install in November and see if they would be willing to do if for me down the road if I do some other work at the same time.

How much protection do you think we have with the stock sliders?

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
RCI was quoting 6-8 when I ordered in late June. Took 11 weeks to ship, 12 total to arrive.

The stock sliders were fine with steps off if you drop on something, but no protection if you tip into or slide off a rock or get squeezed in a turn.

I caught a stump i couldnt see on the passenger side of an inside corner on a rocky climbing turn the first week i had the sliders on. Pretty sure that would have caught my rear door with the slider bump outs.

getting the sliders on first would be nice, but you can always work around it later.

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
RCI was quoting 6-8 when I ordered in late June. Took 11 weeks to ship, 12 total to arrive.

The stock sliders were fine with steps off if you drop on something, but no protection if you tip into or slide off a rock or get squeezed in a turn.

I caught a stump i couldnt see on the passenger side of an inside corner on a rocky climbing turn the first week i had the sliders on. Pretty sure that would have caught my rear door with the slider bump outs.

getting the sliders on first would be nice, but you can always work around it later.
Hi John,

I ordered the RCI sliders the other day. The pinch seam covers have already arrived. I contacted them via email and they are saying 4-6 weeks delivery. We shall see. Jake at Foutz is aware of your modification to put on the sliders with the lower arm frame gaurds. They are going to put them on for me when I go back and also some lights. It is appreciated your info. about the install and Jake already knowing what to be done is real nice.

I will post soon the protection they installed as per above. Everyone was real friendly and they did a great job. It was nice meeting Greg as well. He was there briefly in the morning.

How do you find the step into the truck with the RCI's compared to the OEM steps? I ordered the 5 degree.

EDIT: I just found your original summary of install. It seems the the front mud flap needs to be removed.

I am just reading it now. Thanks

Thanks

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Hi John,

I ordered the RCI sliders the other day. The pinch seam covers have already arrived. I contacted them via email and they are saying 4-6 weeks delivery. We shall see. Jake at Foutz is aware of your modification to put on the sliders with the lower arm frame gaurds. They are going to put them on for me when I go back and also some lights. It is appreciated your info. about the install and Jake already knowing what to be done is real nice.

I will post soon the protection they installed as per above. Everyone was real friendly and they did a great job. It was nice meeting Greg as well. He was there briefly in the morning.

How do you find the step into the truck with the RCI's compared to the OEM steps? I ordered the 5 degree.

EDIT: I just found your original summary of install. It seems the the front mud flap needs to be removed.

I am just reading it now. Thanks

Thanks
You’re, welcome! It’s nice knowing that documenting this stuff has some value.

I have the 20 degree version, definitely not as convenient as the OEM steps, but good enough for me to get in and out reasonably easy. 5 degree should be incrementally better.

Im pretty sure I mentioned it but, only the driver side lower arm skid needs to be modified to lay flat on frame next to the RCI slider. The passenger side can slide under the gas tank skid and be secured with the skid bolt.

If you see Greg again, thank him for his patience with me please!

Hope you enjoy (and stress test) the mods soon.

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
You’re, welcome! It’s nice knowing that documenting this stuff has some value.

I have the 20 degree version, definitely not as convenient as the OEM steps, but good enough for me to get in and out reasonably easy. 5 degree should be incrementally better.

Im pretty sure I mentioned it but, only the driver side lower arm skid needs to be modified to lay flat on frame next to the RCI slider. The passenger side can slide under the gas tank skid and be secured with the skid bolt.

If you see Greg again, than him for his patience with me please!

Hope you enjoy (and stress test) the mods soon.
I will relay the message to Jake if I don't see Greg again. Yes, Jake was aware only one side needs to be modified. The drivers side is the one I hit prior to the install so it was a bit hard to get the protection on as it mushroomed slightly. They will be able to pry it off . They mentioned perhaps they could cut it while still on. If not they will get it off an cut it as per your summary. Thanks again.

I was just under and taking a look at the mods. Very happy and looking forward to testing once I sort my CV axel. I will post later today the great work they did. I like them there. Eager to please and nice people.

Roughstock

Jul 1, 2023
Gallery
Arizona
Military
ex Army
Current Ride
2023 Shadow Black Raptor
Current Ride #2
At Foutz last week for an install.

Greg is a gentlemen and an amazingly accomplished off road racer and truck modifier. I watched a video while I was there of him being majorly involved with the first F150 Raptor in both modifying (at his shop) for the Baja and racing it there in conjunction with Ford. Also he and others were involved in the initial discussions with Ford on what the F150 Raptor should be like. Greg was asking for a lot of travel at one point.

Again, I can't say enough of how nice they are and how helpful. Jake and Bart are great and the lady in the front office (can't remember her name) had the same spirit and helped with my CV issue contacting Ford with Jake.

Here is what they did:

1) Rear lower arm frame guards
5) FMI main skid plate

Everywhere you look there is racing history and trophies. The picture here is just one small corner.
IMG_2428.jpeg
IMG_2430.jpeg
IMG_2429.jpeg
IMG_1010.jpg
IMG_11111.jpg
IMG_13131.jpg
IMG_8888.jpg
IMG 7777.jpg
IMG_12121.jpg
jpeg 9999.jpg

I will be back in the new year. They are going to install RCI rock sliders and their light mount and some front and rear Baja lights for us. Looking forward to getting that done for sure. Rims and other mods on hold.......for now. I need to get out there and scratch this stuff up.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions