Bronco Raptor stop/start system

WhiskeyMike

Founding Member
Feb 2, 2022
Gallery
Vancouver
I am assuming that the Braptor will have some type of stop/start system and hoping that it will not be the eTorque system used in new Wranglers with gas engines. That system uses a 48 volt battery connected to a belt starter generator device. The 48 volt battery sits between the frame rails in a box and has both a pair of water lines to heat the battery as well as refrigerant lines to cool the battery. These 4 lines are exposed and vulnerable and not something I would want under an off road vehicle.

Anyone know what exactly the Braptor has?

Raptor2Braptor

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2022
Gallery
Orange County, California
I assume it is something similar to the system in the FRaptor which does not sound like the Jeep setup you described, but maybe someone more technically attuned than me can chime in. I've had no issues with mine and it doesn't bother me in daily traffic. The truck will disable the stop/start in Sport and Baja modes or if you are cranking the AC in high ambient temps or if it detects the battery has a low charge.

BRVOL

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
East TN
Military
US ARMY
Current Ride
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
Current Ride #2
2002 BMW 1150RT
I just got my auto start stop eliminator in the mail today. I can't stand these on vehicles and it only adds to wear and tear on them. First mod I'm doing when I get her home.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I am assuming that the Braptor will have some type of stop/start system and hoping that it will not be the eTorque system used in new Wranglers with gas engines. That system uses a 48 volt battery connected to a belt starter generator device. The 48 volt battery sits between the frame rails in a box and has both a pair of water lines to heat the battery as well as refrigerant lines to cool the battery. These 4 lines are exposed and vulnerable and not something I would want under an off road vehicle.

Anyone know what exactly the Braptor has?
The Bronco Raptor auto start stop system is expected to have the same technology used in all new Ford vehicles. It temporarily stops/starts the engine under specific circumstances to save gas.

The Jeep Wrangler eTorque mild hybrid system is a replacement for the traditional alternator. It sports a belt-driven motor generator unit that executes several different functions.
A 48-volt battery pack works with the motor generator to create:
- seamless start/stop function;
- a short-duration torque addition to the engine crankshaft in particular driving conditions; and,
- brake energy regeneration to increase efficiency and responsiveness.

Last edited:

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL
Someone said that you can also disable the start-stop by plugging something into the trailer plug because it supposedly won't work when towing.

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
the start / stop is also, typically, disabled in certain drive modes. On the F150 Raptor, for instance, it turns off in 'sport' mode, among others. Many folks like sport mode for all driving in those trucks...I don't...I just use 'normal' most of the time. That said, I have a Mountune tune on the truck and, like most tuners, one of the basic options you can get on the tune is disabling the start / stop.

luterdan

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
Jacksonville, FL
I was reading in another forum that the ford implementation of Start-stop works really well. I didn't like mine in the Audi we had. I haven't driven the Bronco with it, so I can't comment on how it compares.

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
I was reading in another forum that the ford implementation of Start-stop works really well. I didn't like mine in the Audi we had. I haven't driven the Bronco with it, so I can't comment on how it compares.
I have it in a few Fords and had it in the FE Bronco that I just sold. It's not bad...but it does seem to be a polarizing feature.

Ricky

Founding Member
Jun 4, 2022
Gallery
Sunnyvale
I just got my auto start stop eliminator in the mail today. I can't stand these on vehicles and it only adds to wear and tear on them. First mod I'm doing when I get her home.
I run one in my 18 F150 Raptor as well as the 20 ST. Very easy install and the system still works if you want to use it. It can be tuned out with a custom tune or people have used Forscan to disable it and add other features as well. But I agree I don't care for it either.

Rob41

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2022
Gallery
Northern MI
If I'm not mistaken, the start/stop feature is also disabled when the AC is on high. Easy enough to disable with forescan or a plug in dongle as others have mentioned.

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
My average MPG during the last 2500 miles is 20.2. I usually drive in ECO mode with start:stop engaged. I Mac out cruise control and do the speed limit. The first time I experienced start/stop was in a BMW and it was extremely annoying and distracting. The system in the Bronco is much more unobtrusive. I fact-checked assumptions that the system prematurely fatigued the starter and research indicated otherwise. So far so good.

djc007x

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Washington, DC
Is there an "empirical" answer to the question of wear and tear in auto/stop/start configuration? Common sense and logic says the engine parts should wear out much faster the same way a lightbulb filament fails over time (on and off)

Smart people please drop some science in the Defense or Rejection of start stop technology

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
Is there an "empirical" answer to the question of wear and tear in auto/stop/start configuration? Common sense and logic says the engine parts should wear out much faster the same way a lightbulb filament fails over time (on and off)

Smart people please drop some science in the Defense or Rejection of start stop technology
There are several sites on the internet that address whether premature fatigue results from the start/stop systems. I listed some but many, many more exist and none that I have looked at say that the start/stop causes problems due to overusing components. They all explain the engineering reasons why it is not the problem that many people assume that it is from nothing more than simple assumption. Here are a few: Practical Motoring; Motor Biscuit; Bestride.com; Mechanicbase.com: Greencar reports.com. Those are just a few.

Top Member Reactions