Go for Launch!
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
U-S-A
Current Ride
2021 Bronco FE
broncoraptor-vs-jeep392.jpg

Now that we know all the specs on the Bronco Raptor, how do you think it stacks up against the Jeep 392?

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
The Rubicon 392 has the attraction of the awesome HEMI 392 sound and power however I'm suspecting torque number may be closer with the Raptor torque at lower RPM's. Just note that in order to win you need to finish and the 392 has a Dana 44 rear end vs Bronco Raptor with the Dana 50.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I'm a currently a Hydo Blue Peral coat Wrangler owner and prior to the Bronco Raptor release I didn't think anything was cooler that a Rubicon 392, but now we have info to compare I have been solidly convinced otherwise. Bronco Raptor is like a high tech meets mechanically superior greatness to create the coolest offroad production vehicle ever. Competition is all so good.

Last edited:
OP
supersix

supersix

Go for Launch!
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
U-S-A
Current Ride
2021 Bronco FE
Jeep needed some competition! They've own the off-road market for so long. I think it will push both brands to release better vehicles. I'm excited to see what Jeep will unveil at the Easter Safari this year.

jeep_wrangler_rubicon_392_safari_tease-photo.jpg

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
A 392 Gladiator is a pretty attractive combination! I've seen some built Gladiators that look amazing and if they add this engine it will be one badass little truck! For me though, the road manners and the high-speed off-road capability are what put the Bronco Raptor on top.

slicktop

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2022
florida
Current Ride
Ford Excursion .... diesel 4x4...
Current Ride #2
1974 Bronco candy apple red, white hard top
A 392 Gladiator is a pretty attractive combination! I've seen some built Gladiators that look amazing and if they add this engine it will be one badass little truck! For me though, the road manners and the high-speed off-road capability are what put the Bronco Raptor on top.
I want to sanction an awesome book on Bronco Racing by John Elkin, amazing pics and go's back to 1964 and forward as Bronco takes on Jeep and others!! MidlifeClassicCars.com !!

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Has anyone with a Jeep 392 gotten their Bronco Raptor yet? I would love to hear what you think about the differences now that you've had some seat time in both vehicles.

SoFLoBrapter

Founding Member
Mar 28, 2022
Gallery
SoFlo
Has anyone with a Jeep 392 gotten their Bronco Raptor yet? I would love to hear what you think about the differences now that you've had some seat time in both vehicles.
I‘ve had a ‘21 392 Wrangler since new. Picked up my msrp Brapter the second week in October.

First impressions of the Braptor are;
Fit and finish aren’t as good as the Jeep. Mine came through with some scuff marks and scratches on the front bumper where the rivets are.
The Jeep has a little more orange peel in the paint and mine had a slight blemish in the Hydro blue paint, but overall I get the impression that the 392 Wrangler is screwed together a little better.
Braptor handles a little better on the road without the Jeep wander. This was minimized by installing the longer Mopar lower control arms and now I would say they are almost the same in that department. Higher speeds on road cornering is better with the Braptor with less body roll and a little softer ride.
On road performance and sound wise the 392 blows the Braptor away. Nothing sounds like that naturally aspirated Hemi V8 from idle to WFO. I haven’t taken either off-road so I have no comment there. I live in South Florida and off-road trails are limited.
The ergonomics of the Jeep as far as entry/exit are better, at least for my 5’11” stature. I don’t need a side step to get into and out of the Jeep vs not being able to just take one step into the Braptor. The extra height and the awkward step entry pull relationship made entering a 3 step pain. Getting out also was made more difficult because I could skip using the step, but them would invariably rub my pants leg on it getting it dirty. Yes, I could use it, but then it just makes it an awkward process and repeating that a few times a day weeks on end just wasn’t appealing for this 70 year old body!
The Brapter has less rearward and side to side visibility than the Jeep. That along with the Braptor being what feels like a third wider makes parking and maneuvering in the tight spaces and crowded parking lots here in SoFlo a more hazardous endeavor.

In the end I kept the Braptor for 4 days and 400 miles. I but I could not justify it over the 392 Wrangler and offered it back to the dealer. The dealer wrote me a check for the full purchase price plus a nice sweetener and I walked away happy and still have my 392.

PS; I’m an old V8 guy from way back. I’ve owned over 60 vehicle of all types from turbo 4 cylinders to V12’s and I just prefer naturally aspirated V8’s. This colors my perception of the turbo V6 in the Braptor and does not constitute a condemnation of it. For me, sound is a big part of the performance equation, right or wrong. Go with what works best for you!

Last edited:

SteelBronco

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2021
Gallery
Western Maryland
Current Ride
Bronco
Was you required to offer it back to the dealership? I'm sure it would have sold here just as quick. Please don't tell me it was Velocity Blue was it?

SoFLoBrapter

Founding Member
Mar 28, 2022
Gallery
SoFlo
No, there weren't any requirements that I sell the Braptor back to them. I had flown in from another state to pick it up, that along with some other personal reasons, it just seemed like the path of least resistance. I’m sure I could have sold it for more on the open market but that wasn’t what my original intent for the Bronco was and I only saw the extra money I received as an added bonus to a quick uncomplicated unraveling of the deal on vehicle I no longer wanted.

PS; not Vb, see avatar of it coming down the line

SteelBronco

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2021
Gallery
Western Maryland
Current Ride
Bronco
Oh
No, there weren't any requirements that I sell the Braptor back to them. I had flown in from another state to pick it up, that along with some other personal reasons, it just seemed like the path of least resistance. I’m sure I could have sold it for more on the open market but that wasn’t what my original intent for the Bronco was and I only saw the extra money I received as an added bonus to a quick uncomplicated unraveling of the deal on vehicle I no longer wanted.

PS; not Vb, see avatar of it coming down the line
Sorry it didn't seem to fit with you but that's just how it goes. I personally have never owned a jeep (don't believe I ever will) so I have only your word to go on.
I hold true to Ford to a fault...always have but for the most part Ford hasn't let me down and always has got me home. I have a V8 in my early Bronco and my F150 and I always was a V8 guy too. BUT...I have always been Bronco nut and this for now is the top dog in the Bronco class! I was turned down on the Bronco DR....but I did put in for it, not enough social media followers. I'm not into that!

SoFLoBrapter

Founding Member
Mar 28, 2022
Gallery
SoFlo
i was brought up in a Ford family. From the earliest time I can remember we always had at least one Ford In the driveway and it was usually something of the high performace variety. My first car was a 1967 390 GTA Mustang, which I ran in NHRA Stock B/A class for a couple of years. Had multiple Fords throughout my years but mainly turned towards Euro imports later along with the discovery of V8 CJ7’s. When Jeep announced the 392 Wrangler the deal was sealed. I’m sure if the Braptor had come with a Coyote V8, I probably wouldn’t have been so fast to sell it.

Top Member Reactions