Chase Light Options

Losy

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2022
Gallery
Long Beach, CA
Took my Braptor on a high speed desert run in Johnson Valley along the King of Hammers roads (not the rock crawling trails ha ha). BRaptor did great. I noticed I need to add some amber chase lights on the rear of the vehicle. With the desert dust it is important that people following you can see your rig.

Fast Intentions has a mount for the rear spare tire but the bolt pattern does not fit the BRaptor lugs. Baja Designs has a kit but it is Fugly. Has anyone come across any options? I might see if my 4x4 shop will fabricate something otherwise.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Maybe try calling our sponsor 4x4TruckLEDs.com. I noticed the Ford Bronco Raptor media vehicles in Johnson valley was sporting these rears lights. Seems like a really need/must for any high speed desert running.
This thread here also provides some options.

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
Took my Braptor on a high speed desert run in Johnson Valley along the King of Hammers roads (not the rock crawling trails ha ha). BRaptor did great. I noticed I need to add some amber chase lights on the rear of the vehicle. With the desert dust it is important that people following you can see your rig.

Fast Intentions has a mount for the rear spare tire but the bolt pattern does not fit the BRaptor lugs. Baja Designs has a kit but it is Fugly. Has anyone come across any options? I might see if my 4x4 shop will fabricate something otherwise.
A Raptor version of this bracket is available now. I’m getting one with a pair of Baja Design S2 Pros in amber (like the picture on the Fast Intentions website). Will let y’all know how it works out.

Johnny Rebel

Jul 11, 2023
Gallery
LA
Current Ride
Bronco Big Bend
Current Ride #2
Bronco Raptor
I was on a run in Baja with the Fast Intentions guys where they and several other Broncos were running their chase light mounts. Visibility was fantastic. Recently bought the mounts for our Broncos, but haven't had time to install them yet.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
I keep waiting for someone to mount up the Rigid Chase pod. It has 715 lumen reverse, courtesy, strobe, running, and brake lights (And a big Rigid logo) in a compact package.

Solves a few problems, opens up rear visibility thru elimination of stock third brake stalk and housing, provides chase strobe in a visible location, and considerably enhances reverse lighting (probably doubles or more).

I haven’t seen anyone running on a Raptor yet or a standard Bronco for that matter. Maybe a good reason?

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
Honestly I don’t feel the angst about the stock third brake light. Maybe my height…dunno. The BD/FI solution is very clean and the amber S2 Pro’s are untouched in the industry for brightness and reliability. After hitting the Bronco Raptor Off-Roadeo a couple weeks ago, it really dawned on me the powerful chase lights are a must. I’ll report back on how it works out.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
the third brake light doesn’t cause me a lot of grief either, but if wasnt there I would be marginally happier! I’ll probably just go with crowd on the BD/FI solution, looking forward to your experience.

While I have needed (or my friends needed) chase lights for a variety of rides, The Bronco Raptor Off Roadeo last Monday wasn’t one of them. I lead all day long with the instructor, with my windows down enjoying the 70 degree weather and no dust. But I was in the recovery vehicle, with the jack squeaking and banging the whole day. Karma.

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
i would like to see someone make a more elegant solution that doesnt show a bunch of bolts and various lights at different heights across the same plane. Something like this where the center light could be red and used as the 3rd brake light. obviously this would mount in the stock location.
IMG_0222.jpeg

Alternatively, ive been trying to convince baja designs to make a 10-12" version of their RTL lightbars, where 3 leds on each side could be yellow for chase lights and 4 center leds could be 3rd brake light. something like this (imagine the white center lights red)
IMG_0223.jpeg

HaugenRacing

Feb 3, 2023
Gallery
Scottsdale, AZ
Current Ride
2022 Ford Bronco Raptor
I keep waiting for someone to mount up the Rigid Chase pod. It has 715 lumen reverse, courtesy, strobe, running, and brake lights (And a big Rigid logo) in a compact package.

Solves a few problems, opens up rear visibility thru elimination of stock third brake stalk and housing, provides chase strobe in a visible location, and considerably enhances reverse lighting (probably doubles or more).

I haven’t seen anyone running on a Raptor yet or a standard Bronco for that matter. Maybe a good reason?
I have the rigid. Just bend the bracket and get your own lug nuts and bolts. Wasn't too big of a deal
20230320_120754.jpg

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
I have the rigid. Just bend the bracket and get your own lug nuts and bolts. Wasn't too big of a dealView attachment 10657
Cool. Thanks for the response. It looks super clean from this angle. Which bracket is this? Did you use someone’s harness or wire freestyle? TIA

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
for those of you using baja s2 or s1 , how do you plan to have them flash for those places that require flashing chase lights? Short of going with a switchpro

JMCBraptor

Feb 18, 2023
Gallery
Los Angeles
Current Ride
2021 Ram 3500 Megacab
Current Ride #2
Escalade V ,Raptor R, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
for those of you using baja s2 or s1 , how do you plan to have them flash for those places that require flashing chase lights? Short of going with a switchpro
Switch pro all day!

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
A Raptor version of this bracket is available now. I’m getting one with a pair of Baja Design S2 Pros in amber (like the picture on the Fast Intentions website). Will let y’all know how it works out.
I’m always trying to get the most out of any investment, but I don’t know jack about what makes a good Chase light.

I’m thinking if I had 2 S2 Pros with clear wide cornering lenses mounted on the FI bracket, I could wire to Reverse Light and Aux switch. Then throw in some amber covers.

this way I’ve got wide reverse lights in clear (or amber with covers on) which would get used often on and off trail, a switchable clear for camp/work area occasionally and a switchable amber for chase conditions maybe 5- 10 days a year.

What do folks think is the best lens option as a chase light?

Do you think that amber covers on clear wide cornering lens will limit Chase visibility despite throwing over 4500 lumens out the back?

TIA

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
So depending who you ask you will get different answers. And it depends how much dust is being kicked up etc. But I have been told by several to cut through a lot of dust, wide cornering or work scene wont cut it, you need spot. Obviously with a spot lens you will want to get the lights above eye level to not blind anyone.

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
So depending who you ask you will get different answers. And it depends how much dust is being kicked up etc. But I have been told by several to cut through a lot of dust, wide cornering or work scene wont cut it, you need spot. Obviously with a spot lens you will want to get the lights above eye level to not blind anyone.
BD guys recommended wide cornering for mounting in the spare tire location for just that reason. Also the spot pattern loses effectiveness quickly if you turn…

Last edited:

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
I’m always trying to get the most out of any investment, but I don’t know jack about what makes a good Chase light.

I’m thinking if I had 2 S2 Pros with clear wide cornering lenses mounted on the FI bracket, I could wire to Reverse Light and Aux switch. Then throw in some amber covers.

this way I’ve got wide reverse lights in clear (or amber with covers on) which would get used often on and off trail, a switchable clear for camp/work area occasionally and a switchable amber for chase conditions maybe 5- 10 days a year.

What do folks think is the best lens option as a chase light?

Do you think that amber covers on clear wide cornering lens will limit Chase visibility despite throwing over 4500 lumens out the back?

TIA
Lots of questions tossed out there! I’m going with separate reverse lights (S1 clear work/scene) mounted in the rear bumper. I’d recommend you take a hard look at the beam pattern with S2’s and a wide cornering lens to make sure it illuminates enough ground if mounted on your spare (better for chase than reverse IMO).

The amber covers only reduce about 15% of light output.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Lots of questions tossed out there!
Thank you. There are a surprising number of variables to consider to buy the “right” dang lights.

I think I’ll go with the base plan, S2 Pro clear wide/cornering and amber covers. The good thing about BD is if I decide to go a different direction on lens pattern and/or color it’s only a $50ish penalty to get new lenses.

HaugenRacing

Feb 3, 2023
Gallery
Scottsdale, AZ
Current Ride
2022 Ford Bronco Raptor
Cool. Thanks for the response. It looks super clean from this angle. Which bracket is this? Did you use someone’s harness or wire freestyle? TIA
It's just the bronco bracket. I just bent it to fit our bolt pattern. It comes with a harness and you just chop the 3rd brake light harness and wire it in

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Anyone in the BRaptorverse know if the tail tight harness plugs in the Raptor are the same as the standard Bronco?

it seems to me there’s no need for them to be different, but with the Braptor, ya just never know. Unfortunately Diode Dynamics didn’t know.

Reason I’m asking is that Diode Dynamics makes a harness for $40 (going on Black Friday sale) that taps into that connector and includes wiring to tie into rear Aux for manual override. Looks like a super clean solution.

Also now considering the DD Stage two Pros with combo lenses (half flood, half driving) with similar power to BD S2 Pros (wide cornering) Mounted on Fast Intentions bracket.

Top Member Reactions