Curious to know…

Fukinstoned

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 8, 2022
Gallery
British Columbia
Got into a debate with my hubby on what fuel we should run our New Bronco Raptor on… he says premium, I’ve checked and it only requires regular… help us debate

What octane will you guys be using?

MIBraptor

Founding Member
Jul 21, 2022
Gallery
Marquette, MI
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
With my gen 2 F150 raptor, the manual said it could run on regular. That said, I ran mid-grade or higher. It is supposed to essentially detune itself for 87 octane but under strong acceleration it would spark knock. I think the braptor has the same engine as Explorer ST so maybe someone on the board has experience with that vehicle. As for me, I'm anticipating mid-grade or higher octane based on my experience with my last raptor.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
You are both correct, however I will be running premium as forced induction (Turbo or Supercharged) will retain advanced timing under acceleration thereby providing increased horsepower/performance. Ford has documented the horsepower and torque increases in the Bronco EcoBoost engines using 87 vs 93 octane.

My wifes Explore has the 2.3 EcoBoost, her company pays the gas therefore she uses 87 octane. When we have taken trips with the Explore I fill it with 93 octane and the mileage increases approximately 2 mpg.

Al The Pal

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2022
Gallery
TN
I ran both in my 2019 Raptor. I started out with 87 for a few months because "not required". Then I switched to 93 and it seemed to have a bit more response and a little better mileage. However, i never convinced myself it was worth it if only looking at $$. I do know most turbo people say the premium should be the standard. The EcoBoost engines just seem to perform better on premium if you don't mind paying a bit more. For long road trips I may switch to 87 but for around town and fun semi-local trips, I'll be running premium and just not even think about the $$ - it really did feel more fun. I've missed my Raptor every single day since I traded it in and once the BRaptor was announced I jumped on it and got a Golden Ticket.

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
Ditto here. I have an Explorer ST (same 3.0L EB engine). Only requires 87 (and generally runs perfectly fine with that octane), but performs at its best with 93. So you can stick with what you can afford and/or just splurge when the road trip calls for it!

Cupholders

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2022
Gallery
Mass
Military
Army & Air National Guard
Current Ride
Jeep Rubicon
I’m middle class, “15” MPG is tough enough to swallow so I’m going to stick to 87. Lol

widnere12

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2022
Gallery
Atlanta
The BRaptor is able to run on anything from 87-93. Pick what you can afford and what makes you feel best.

You'll get slightly more power and slightly better performance as you go up in octane, but you'll never make up enough in mileage to support the additional cost, so you need to decide what's most important to you.

Most gas stations have about a $1 per gallon difference in 87 vs 93. So you're looking at about a $17 per tank difference in cost, and you will NEVER make that money back in the slight increase in economy.

As an example. Lets pretend that 87 Octane is $4 per gallon where you live.. With the Ford stated mileage of 15 miles on per gallon on 87 octane, you're paying 26 cents per mile for gas. If you gain 2 miles per gallon on 93 (someone stated that above), but pay $5 per gallon, you'll pay even more per mile at 29.5 cents per gallon.

So.... With the above numbers, if you put 20k miles on your Bronco per year, at 87 Octane it will cost you $5200 in fuel costs, and at 93 octane it will cost you $5900.

So the real question is... Do you want to spend more on gas, for a slight increase in power. You'll get more mile per gallon but still spend more total.... OR...do you want to spend less in gas and not enjoy the slight increase in performance.

widnere12

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2022
Gallery
Atlanta
On another quick note... many of the things you'll see about what should ALWAYS be done (premium on a turbo, oil changes at 3k miles, rebooting a computer once a day....etc), are generally made from people who are stuck in their ways.

Technology changes, engines change, specs changes...EVERYTHING changes.

A good rule of thumb is to second-guess everything. Especially people saying that "IT SHOULD ALWAYS" (insert ending)...

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
The BRaptor is able to run on anything from 87-93. Pick what you can afford and what makes you feel best.

You'll get slightly more power and slightly better performance as you go up in octane, but you'll never make up enough in mileage to support the additional cost, so you need to decide what's most important to you.

Most gas stations have about a $1 per gallon difference in 87 vs 93. So you're looking at about a $17 per tank difference in cost, and you will NEVER make that money back in the slight increase in economy.

As an example. Lets pretend that 87 Octane is $4 per gallon where you live.. With the Ford stated mileage of 15 miles on per gallon on 87 octane, you're paying 26 cents per mile for gas. If you gain 2 miles per gallon on 93 (someone stated that above), but pay $5 per gallon, you'll pay even more per mile at 29.5 cents per gallon.

So.... With the above numbers, if you put 20k miles on your Bronco per year, at 87 Octane it will cost you $5200 in fuel costs, and at 93 octane it will cost you $5900.

So the real question is... Do you want to spend more on gas, for a slight increase in power. You'll get more mile per gallon but still spend more total.... OR...do you want to spend less in gas and not enjoy the slight increase in performance.
Wow, around here (San Diego) the price differential between regular and premium octane is in the 30-50 cent range. Only a few bucks per tank difference. A dollar differential per gallon is quite extreme...

widnere12

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2022
Gallery
Atlanta
Wow, around here (San Diego) the price differential between regular and premium octane is in the 30-50 cent range. Only a few bucks per tank difference. A dollar differential per gallon is quite extreme...
San Diego… my old stomping grounds.

We do have a bigger differential, but here in GA, I can get 87 octane for less than $3.50 a gallon in some areas so mine starts cheaper.

Either way the math holds true. If you have a 50 cent difference, it’s about a $350 annual difference.

CVSJR

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2022
Gallery
Freehold NJ
California hasn’t had 93 octane since at least 2003, though. Highest is 91. I’d pay a little more for 93 on occasion, personally.
It's not available at every station in NJ either, but you can find it. I miss the days of the old Sunoco stations where you can get what was pretty much low end race gas, I think it was called "240" (100 + octane) Last Sunoco station by me to have it was modernized a decade ago to three grades. More recently they had 95 octane super premium that disappeared a few years ago.

SoFLoBrapter

Founding Member
Mar 28, 2022
Gallery
SoFlo
It's not available at every station in NJ either, but you can find it. I miss the days of the old Sunoco stations where you can get what was pretty much low end race gas, I think it was called "240" (100 + octane) Last Sunoco station by me to have it was modernized a decade ago to three grades. More recently they had 95 octane super premium that disappeared a few years ago.
Last Time I checked, 93 octane was available at basically any gas station in NJ. What you are trying to remember is Sunoco 260 which was leaded 98 octane back in the day.

Top Member Reactions