Fender Flares - Color Match Paint

Jumanji

Founding Member
May 27, 2022
Gallery
Sterling, VA
I think the first thing that I need to do when my braptor arrives is color match those dang monster fender flares, anyone else have the same thoughts or has anyone done this yet?

businessgoose

Founding Member
Apr 7, 2022
Gallery
SLC UT
honestly i want to have some aftermarket fiberglass fenders made. i just don't know how to get the rear ones done up with the door/fender split. I'm sure someone smarter than me will come out with it and i can spend my money there lol

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
I like the flares, they are functional and outrageous. Code Orange will make them pop!

Color matching the flares will probably look great too. But…. if you’re going on mountain/forested trails, the brush is going to buff the paint right back off. So it makes more sense for me with the massive track width to leave them unpainted.

Folks seem ro use fenders and flares interchangeably, but putting new fiberglass flares is going to be tough. all four fenders and the back doors are contoured to give structure and create smooth transition for the stock flares. Any aftermarket will have a hard time working around that and make the flares look better.

it looks like, to me, that any meaningful design change in flares is going to require the flares and the fenders and rear doors be replaced.

hopefully I’m very wrong, but in the mean time I’m playing it where it lies.

A8279FDE-B5B9-49E9-9CDE-221114D61F53.jpeg

slicktop

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2022
florida
Current Ride
Ford Excursion .... diesel 4x4...
Current Ride #2
1974 Bronco candy apple red, white hard top
I like the flares, they are functional and outrageous. Code Orange will make them pop!

Color matching the flares will probably look great too. But…. if you’re going on mountain/forested trails, the brush is going to buff the paint right back off. So it makes more sense for me with the massive track width to leave them unpainted.

Folks seem ro use fenders and flares interchangeably, but putting new fiberglass flares is going to be tough. all four fenders and the back doors are contoured to give structure and create smooth transition for the stock flares. Any aftermarket will have a hard time working around that and make the flares look better.

it looks like, to me, that any meaningful design change in flares is going to require the flares and the fenders and rear doors be replaced.

hopefully I’m very wrong, but in the mean time I’m playing it where it lies.

View attachment 1638
what a fool i am for thinking I'm the only one going to immediately paint these fenders??? I have called ford parts to see if I can purchase to paint before it arrives lol

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
what a fool i am for thinking I'm the only one going to immediately paint these fenders??? I have called ford parts to see if I can purchase to paint before it arrives lol
I think it’ll look great. Everyone should do what they want.

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
The top and flares will all get painted right away. Body match flares and body match or gloss black top.
Will a gloss paint job adhere to the MIC top over time and not fade or have any decomposition problems? Also how much do you think it would cost?

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
I think that painted flares will look equally awkward. Best solution is to have a custom fender (for those financially inclined) that widens out to minimize or eliminate the need for a flare.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
You could always go with the Fiberwerx carbon fiber fenders!

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
I would need to see this in person in order to make a decision, but am intrigued by the possibility. I do have concerns about chip (at the least) damage pockmarking the rear fender flares and requiring remedial repairs on an on-going basis. Has anyone gotten a price range to paint them?

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I would need to see this in person in order to make a decision, but am intrigued by the possibility. I do have concerns about chip (at the least) damage pockmarking the rear fender flares and requiring remedial repairs on an on-going basis. Has anyone gotten a price range to paint them?
The Cactus Gray above is owned and painted/modified by Caruzn Customs.

I'm planning to use stealth PPF on my stock flares partly because I'm not sure if the surface quality is smooth enough that I would be happy with a gloss finish.

Losy

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2022
Gallery
Long Beach, CA
Yeah I just don't think color patching the flares improves the looks. The lighter colors like Cactus Grey it might look ok. But I tend to like the Area51 and dark fenders/wheels look. But we have have our preferences.
ADV is developing some replacement body panels for the Braptor that should look pretty sick. Some day, when I get tire of the OEM look, I will probably go with ADV. But for now I have too many non-cosmetic upgrades I want to focus on.

BRVOL

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2022
Gallery
East TN
Military
US ARMY
Current Ride
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
Current Ride #2
2002 BMW 1150RT
The factory flares look so much better in person. I think they look horrible painted.

Top Member Reactions