TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
This is going to be Fun watching what Kevin & Britney do with the Bronco Raptor, including all the mods. In this video Kevin already provides us some pointers on step and bumper ends removal.

"We sold our Ford Bronco Badlands, equipped with the Sasquatch package, because we hated it. The quality control issues from the factory were something we ultimately couldn't overlook, and the weaker steering and suspension weren't something we were willing to risk (especially with the number of breaks popping up online & in forums). However, we had really high hopes for the all new Ford Bronco, and we aren't willing to give up on it yet. So we've turned those hopes over to the new Bronco Raptor!"

"In order to get one as soon as possible, we bit the bullet and paid some guy $35K over MSRP for the one he just picked up from a dealer. With any luck, the Raptor will live up to what we always hoped the Ford Bronco could be!"

"Hope you all enjoy the video!"

Last edited:

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
This is going to be Fun watching what Kevin & Britney do with the Bronco Raptor, including all the mods. In this video Kevin already provides us some pointers on step and bumper ends removal.

"We sold our Ford Bronco Badlands, equipped with the Sasquatch package, because we hated it. The quality control issues from the factory were something we ultimately couldn't overlook, and the weaker steering and suspension weren't something we were willing to risk (especially with the number of breaks popping up online & in forums). However, we had really high hopes for the all new Ford Bronco, and we aren't willing to give up on it yet. So we've turned those hopes over to the new Bronco Raptor!"

"In order to get one as soon as possible, we bit the bullet and paid some guy $35K over MSRP for the one he just picked up from a dealer. With any luck, the Raptor will live up to what we always hoped the Ford Bronco could be!"

"Hope you all enjoy the video!"

Apparently Kevin did not do his homework or he is not being exactly honest. He stated several times that all the reviews thus far are orchestrated by Ford to maximize the strengths of the Raptor. In fact by this time I have seen several videos that are in no way connected to Ford, and in every other video, the rater has made several negative observations such as mediocre mpg, inferior rear window visibility, some don"t like the exhaust note, others think it needs some additional power, it is too heavy or too wide for trails, etc, etc, etc. It will be interesting to see their final assessment. Hopefully they will be a bit more objective than they were with their BL.

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Apparently Kevin did not do his homework or he is not being exactly honest. He stated several times that all the reviews thus far are orchestrated by Ford to maximize the strengths of the Raptor. In fact by this time I have seen several videos that are in no way connected to Ford, and in every other video, the rater has made several negative observations such as mediocre mpg, inferior rear window visibility, some don"t like the exhaust note, others think it needs some additional power, it is too heavy or too wide for trails, etc, etc, etc. It will be interesting to see their final assessment. Hopefully they will be a bit more objective than they were with their BL.
Agreed, we only have so much time, coming off a busy. gone from home, for 3 months summer, it's apparent Kevin hasn't keep current with the BR reviews. I also didn't agree with all the technology comments on the BL where I understood both the JL & Bronco, but when it comes to the off-roading Kevin & Britney is light years ahead of myself. I've been watching Lite Bright since getting their new JL which is now StepChild, and they sure didn't hold back on Jeep and I believe the Jeep Brand manager communicated back to them from comments in their video's, explained Jeeps position, and I think Jeep improved from those constructive criticisms.

I also have noticed at 80+ on the highway a slight tire balance issue, mine do have the wheel weights, but they need ride matched and rebalanced. Then my BR will be perfect.

Apache 8

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2022
SoCal
Agreed, we only have so much time, coming off a busy. gone from home, for 3 months summer, it's apparent Kevin hasn't keep current with the BR reviews. I also didn't agree with all the technology comments on the BL where I understood both the JL & Bronco, but when it comes to the off-roading Kevin & Britney is light years ahead of myself. I've been watching Lite Bright since getting their new JL which is now StepChild, and they sure didn't hold back on Jeep and I believe the Jeep Brand manager communicated back to them from comments in their video's, explained Jeeps position, and I think Jeep improved from those constructive criticisms.

I also have noticed at 80+ on the highway a slight tire balance issue, mine do have the wheel weights, but they need ride matched and rebalanced. Then my BR will be perfect.
It is good to hear about the things that might need fine-tuning such as the wheel balance issue so every one of us that takes delivery can be up to speed on what to check out and focus on as we progressively take delivery .

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
These people are influencers first and foremost. I would never give them anywhere as much credence as someone who is a professional off-roader (e.g. Gitten, Healy). They are about getting views, hits, subscriptions, likes, etc., not about being definitive in the off-road industry.

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired
Curious that Kevin states the Nitto Recon Grappler is a true 37" tire; whereas, the stock KO2 tires are less. It is well known that advertised DIA is slightly different than actual DIA; however, I fail to see the bragging rights for the Recon Grappler with only a 0.04" diameter gain. The video shows a noticeable unmounted and mounted diameter difference between the BFG and Nitto (but that could be camera angle. Put the BFG in the back and Nitto in the forefront, then the BFG would look bigger for the same angle). I would be bragging more about the extra 2 plies and trail toughness. You could step up the BFG toughness to a D rating for an extra 7.25-lbs/tire at which point the BFG is the better tire judging by weight and tread depth (IMHO). I'm sure the spray for Nitto is due to sponsorship.

[Sidebar: kind of lame and unprofessional that the OEM tires were not balanced. Ford QC should have caught that and the Ford dealer should have caught that on pre-delivery inspection and test drive. Hmmm, what's causing this wobble? Maybe they didn't run it up to 80 mph like Kevin. However, I would expect better dealer service if I was paying $35k over MSRP for a truck. Curious Kevin didn’t turn-around and say something to the dealer when he first noticed it driving home instead of waiting to get on camera and badmouth Ford. I guess you don't care about those little things if you're in a hurry to be the first to drive a BRaptor off-road and spray about it. But I digress].

Stock: BFG KO2 37x12.5R17LT, 116S C BSW => 36.5", 63 Lbs, 6-ply, 15/32"

Upgrade 1: BFG KO2 37x12.5R17LT, 124R D BSW => 36.5", 71.3 Lbs, 8-ply, 15/32"

Upgrade 2: Nitto Recon Grappler 37x12.5R17LT, 124R D BSW => 36.54", 75.6 Lbs, 8-ply, 12.5/32"

Personally, I think the Nitto Ridge Grappler tires are a better off-road choice if you were sold on Nitto tires; they are slightly bigger and have more tread depth for the same toughness, but are heavier (as expected).
Upgrade 3: Nitto Ridge Grappler 37x12.5R17LT, 124Q D BSW => 36.77", 81.5 Lbs, 8-ply, 18.3/32"

Bigger and tougher always means more weight. Rotational weight is more worrisome for suspension and steering component wear and tear than unsprung or dead weight. This should be a real concern for regular Broncos, but maybe not so much for the BRaptor. If you really wanted a bigger Nitto tire, then the 38" DIA Ridge Grappler tires might be the way to go; however, that would be almost a 19-lb/tire increase in weight for a 1.25" DIA gain. Kind of spendy IMO for no extra toughness (compared to stock), but it is another 5/8" increase in ground clearance. There might be a cost trade study in there somewhere. I can't see putting 39", 40" or 42" tires on my BRaptor.
Upgrade 4: Nitto Ridge Grappler 38x12.5R17LT, 118Q C BSW => 37.76", 81.9 Lbs, 6-ply, 18.3/32"

I've used BFG and Falken tires with good success off-road. I certainly like the Wildpeak A/T3W for the winter travel; however, they are heavier, but on the plus side they have a lot more tread. Compare to upgrade 1.
Upgrade 5: Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 37x12.5R17LT, 124R D BSW => 36.5", 82.5 Lbs, 8-ply, 19/32"

I'm not a big fan of the M/T tires strictly for the road noise, winter driving and rapid wear. Besides, I don’t drive a lot of mud in the desert West. Folks in the Southeast USA might have a different story.

What do people hear about the KO3 tires? A lot of spray about GMC, but no actual substance from BFG. :unsure: I know they like to spray about their KM3 tires.

Bottom Line: I'll wear out the stock tires before investing $2500 in another set of shoes (unless I get sponsored in some way :ROFLMAO:). By that time, they will probably cost $3000 for a set of 5 with inflation. Who ever said off-roading was cheap?

1674774458156.png

1674774565139.png
1674774635096.png

1674774682882.png

1674774693209.png

1674774705641.png

Attachments

• 1674774593436.png
    1674774593436.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions