TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I'm expecting this exhaust mod to have the largest increase in HP & TQ over any other exhaust mod. I modified my Cayenne TurboS with same type of mod and the difference is drastic. On my Cayenne before I was always selecting sport mode as the Garrett turbos are continously spooled up just like our Bronco Raptors are in Baja Mode. After replacing the downpipes and secondary cats with 3" custom mandrel bent pipes my normal mode is much more responsive than sport before. It's more than just increasing the HP but how quick the turbos react with less back pressure.

"Needing more performance, MPG's and sound from your 2022-2023 3.0L Ford Bronco Raptor? Look no further! All of SPD's catted downpipes use the UHO ULEV EPA approved catalytic converters or GESI G-Sport UHO EPA catalytic converters and larger 3" diameter mandrel bent tubing which improves throttle response, mileage and overall performance while reducing turbo lag and exhaust temperatures (EGTs). Our downpipes do not require custom tuning and can be used as a factory downpipe replacement. Our catalytic convertors are made in the USA and are designed to be used in racing applications.
P/N DP30BR23SS MSRP $1699.00"

BraptorB1-800x800.png

Last edited:
OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Below 1:30 minute video of same Bronco Raptor with SPD downpipes as above, but with some additional in vehicle driving footage.

JMCBraptor

Feb 18, 2023
Gallery
Los Angeles
Current Ride
2021 Ram 3500 Megacab
Current Ride #2
Escalade V ,Raptor R, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
I'm expecting this exhaust mod to have the largest increase in HP & TQ over any other exhaust mod. I modified my Cayenne TurboS with same type of mod and the difference is drastic. On my Cayenne before I was always selecting sport mode as the Garrett turbos are continously spooled up just like our Bronco Raptors are in Baja Mode. After replacing the downpipes and secondary cats with 3" custom mandrel bent pipes my normal mode is much more responsive than sport before. It's more than just increasing the HP but how quick the turbos react with less back pressure. Hoping @LethalPerformance picks up this supplier.. hint... hint... :giggle:

"Needing more performance, MPG's and sound from your 2022-2023 3.0L Ford Bronco Raptor? Look no further! All of SPD's catted downpipes use the UHO ULEV EPA approved catalytic converters or GESI G-Sport UHO EPA catalytic converters and larger 3" diameter mandrel bent tubing which improves throttle response, mileage and overall performance while reducing turbo lag and exhaust temperatures (EGTs). Our downpipes do not require custom tuning and can be used as a factory downpipe replacement. Our catalytic convertors are made in the USA and are designed to be used in racing applications.

BraptorB1-800x800.png

What is the install like? how many hours?

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
What is the install like? how many hours?
From the looks on our Bronco Raptors it shouldn't be too bad. If you don't have a good selection of socket extensions you will by the time you complete this install. The Ford repair manual should have number of hours for replacing a downpipe/catalytic converter. I'm guessing a couple hours per side.

BraptorD-800x800.jpg

Does this install void the manufacturer's warranty?
Not sure, I wouldn't expect it to void the warranty, at least not in Michigan, state laws may vary when it pertains to emissions.

JMCBraptor

Feb 18, 2023
Gallery
Los Angeles
Current Ride
2021 Ram 3500 Megacab
Current Ride #2
Escalade V ,Raptor R, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
From the looks on our Bronco Raptors it shouldn't be too bad. If you don't have a good selection of socket extensions you will by the time you complete this install. The Ford repair manual should have number of hours for replacing a downpipe/catalytic converter. I'm guessing a couple hours per side.

BraptorD-800x800.jpg

Not sure, I wouldn't expect it to void the warranty, at least not in Michigan, state laws may vary when it pertains to emissions.
thanks! I have a few extensions... lol
1677114693912.png

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Just checked on my BR, OEM downpipes are one piece on each side to the muffler flange. Looks like the stock pipes get cut out or need to also remove the trans brace to remove each side in one piece. I will probably remove the trans brace to preserve the OEM pipes, and I seem to always take the more difficult route.

Slomotone

Feb 13, 2023
Gallery
San Juan
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
BMW 535i
I'm expecting this exhaust mod to have the largest increase in HP & TQ over any other exhaust mod. I modified my Cayenne TurboS with same type of mod and the difference is drastic. On my Cayenne before I was always selecting sport mode as the Garrett turbos are continously spooled up just like our Bronco Raptors are in Baja Mode. After replacing the downpipes and secondary cats with 3" custom mandrel bent pipes my normal mode is much more responsive than sport before. It's more than just increasing the HP but how quick the turbos react with less back pressure. Hoping @LethalPerformance picks up this supplier.. hint... hint... :giggle:

BraptorB1-800x800.png

BraptorB1-800x800.png

Looks like they have an option for an upgraded GESI Spor Catalytic converter which increases the price tag by $1100.00 ($2800.00 total). I contacted SPD about it and here was their reply:

"In all of the videos we have on our website, ceramic core cats were used (non-premium).
The GESI cats (premium) will flow 20-25% better than the ceramic core cats. They have a stainless-steel core that makes them virtually indestructible. The ceramic core is what OEM cats have so the quality is very good but they are limited to about 800rwhp worth of air flow. Any more power than that and you will destroy the core."

I',m not sure if almost double the price is worth the spend for the upgrade. Seeing as the stock engine on our Braptors puts out 418HP...even with adding a cold air intake, and software upgrade, in addition to these downpipes, we can probably add another 80-120 HP...far from the top rated 800hp capacity of the stock ceramic Cat. Maybe not worth it?? Any immediate thoughts, or flaws in my logic?

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Looks like they have an option for an upgraded GESI Sport Catalytic converter which increases the price tag by $1100.00 ($2800.00 total). I contacted SPD about it and here was their reply:

"In all of the videos we have on our website, ceramic core cats were used (non-premium).
The GESI cats (premium) will flow 20-25% better than the ceramic core cats. They have a stainless-steel core that makes them virtually indestructible. The ceramic core is what OEM cats have so the quality is very good but they are limited to about 800rwhp worth of air flow. Any more power than that and you will destroy the core."

I',m not sure if almost double the price is worth the spend for the upgrade. Seeing as the stock engine on our Braptors puts out 418HP...even with adding a cold air intake, and software upgrade, in addition to these downpipes, we can probably add another 80-120 HP...far from the top rated 800hp capacity of the stock ceramic Cat. Maybe not worth it?? Any immediate thoughts, or flaws in my logic?
For myself, I will probably go with their standard high flow ceramic core cats. Unless I was building the engine to the extreme for competition, I don't think I would realize the extra value in the $1100 upgrade.

Considering the best scenario, the 3" downpipes alone, even without cats, may bring 10% HP gain, and the upgrade to GESI cats is at best 25% of that 10%. So if other engine mods brought the 3.0L to 500HP (unlikely) the 3" downpipes would add 50HP, and the GESI cats would add another 12 HP (at best) for $1100. I know from experience that adding 10-12 HP to a 500+ HP street car is not enough for myself to notice, not to mention off-road in the sand.

Ideally we need some 0-60 times for stock, vs. SPD ceramic cats, vs SPD GESI cats, vs... 3" downpipes no cats.

Johnw

Dec 28, 2022
Gallery
Toronto
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model S
For myself, I will probably go with their standard high flow ceramic core cats. Unless I was building the engine to the extreme for competition, I don't think I would realize the extra value in the $1100 upgrade.

Considering the best scenario, the 3" downpipes alone, even without cats, may bring 10% HP gain, and the upgrade to GESI cats is at best 25% of that 10%. So if other engine mods brought the 3.0L to 500HP (unlikely) the 3" downpipes would add 50HP, and the GESI cats would add another 12 HP (at best) for $1100. I know from experience that adding 10-12 HP to a 500+ HP street car is not enough for myself to notice, not to mention off-road in the sand.

Ideally we need some 0-60 times for stock, vs. SPD ceramic cats, vs SPD GESI cats, vs... 3" downpipes no cats.
When are they available??

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
At the 0:43 time mark, is that the check engine light ding that came on?
Sounds like the seat belt warning ding (belt not fastened). My other vehicles don't have a ding with a amber check engine light since it's emissions related warnings.

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
US Army Military Police K9
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police
They do sound good.

TheLawnDart

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 25, 2022
Gallery
Ft Worth
Military
Air Force
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
But does this mean the button on the steering wheel to change the exhaust sound won’t work? Mines already getting a little faded from going to Baja every time I drive…

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
But does this mean the button on the steering wheel to change the exhaust sound won’t work? Mines already getting a little faded from going to Baja every time I drive…
No, only the downpipes and cats are replaced with larger 3" pipes and less restrictive race cats, muffler and valves are untouched.

TheLawnDart

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 25, 2022
Gallery
Ft Worth
Military
Air Force
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
No, only the downpipes and cats are replaced with larger 3" pipes and less restrictive race cats, muffler and valves are untouched.
In that case I would be interested to hear how each setting is affected/ what they all sound like

Top Member Reactions