The Raptor was NOT designed for cold weather.

B.C.Raptor

May 10, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Took delivery in September in Vancouver, BC. Loving it so far. I have discovered a few minor oversights over the past few months. As previously posted, the absence of an old school 12V outlet has left me without a functioning Radar Detector. Yes, I could run a cable from the dash all the way to the center console, which is messy and inconvenient. I'm still sorting out that issue. Other smaller issues like the drivers side visor hitting the rear view mirror or the passenger side wiper hitting the antenna when lifting for clearing. Both are only mildly bothersome issues which will likely be addressed with future production runs.
What is a little more surprising is the way the truck handles cold weather. Once moisture gets into the cracks between the roof panels and freezes, it makes a hell of a lot of noise.....creaking and cracking with each bump and turn. The side windows; which are designed to drop a small amount when opening the doors are unable to fully close due to a small ice/snow build-up, resulting in a steady whistle as I drive. And finally today's surprise: the latch on the rear tailgate has also stopped working due to what I have to assume is the cold temperatures freezing whatever moisture may have infiltrated the mechanism, resulting in my inability to properly close the rear tailgate.
I love my Bronco Raptor. It gets more looks than a three-legged dog and is one of the funnest vehicles to drive. Where I used to avoid the bumps in my Ram 3500, I now aim for them.
Looks like I'll have to have a heated garage built before next winter.

Johnw

Dec 28, 2022
Gallery
Toronto
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model S
Took delivery in September in Vancouver, BC. Loving it so far. I have discovered a few minor oversights over the past few months. As previously posted, the absence of an old school 12V outlet has left me without a functioning Radar Detector. Yes, I could run a cable from the dash all the way to the center console, which is messy and inconvenient. I'm still sorting out that issue. Other smaller issues like the drivers side visor hitting the rear view mirror or the passenger side wiper hitting the antenna when lifting for clearing. Both are only mildly bothersome issues which will likely be addressed with future production runs.
What is a little more surprising is the way the truck handles cold weather. Once moisture gets into the cracks between the roof panels and freezes, it makes a hell of a lot of noise.....creaking and cracking with each bump and turn. The side windows; which are designed to drop a small amount when opening the doors are unable to fully close due to a small ice/snow build-up, resulting in a steady whistle as I drive. And finally today's surprise: the latch on the rear tailgate has also stopped working due to what I have to assume is the cold temperatures freezing whatever moisture may have infiltrated the mechanism, resulting in my inability to properly close the rear tailgate.
I love my Bronco Raptor. It gets more looks than a three-legged dog and is one of the funnest vehicles to drive. Where I used to avoid the bumps in my Ram 3500, I now aim for them.
Looks like I'll have to have a heated garage built before next winter.

This thing is a BEAST in the cold weather. I love it!

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0264.jpeg
    IMG_0264.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0261.jpeg
    IMG_0261.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 54
OP
B.C.Raptor

B.C.Raptor

May 10, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
I spent the last few weeks in the midst of an arctic outflow, with temperatures dipping below -35° C and I can assure you that I have provided an honest assessment of the ongoing problems associated with the Bronco roof and sub-zero (C) temperatures. My findings are supported by multiple Bronco Raptor owners across the online community.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
For your radar, I've used a mirror tap for the radar hookup as shown in this thread below, and it works great!

Sorry to hear of your problems and frustration in the cold weather. If your dealer is local maybe they could put your Raptor in the service department, once thawed, add lubrication to the rear latch to prevent freezing, and add seal lubrication to the roof seals to resist moisture. Yes, a warm garage always helps.

I took @Johnw post as he was loving his new Bronco Raptor in the snow from a performance standpoint, not that he was disagreeing with the issues your experiencing. Hopefully some of us on this site can assist in helping alleviate those issues for you.

Just a FYI, I live in Michigan and rented a new fully optioned out Suburban to drive to our daughters in North Platte Nebraska and Denver Colorado in the -15 degree weather with 20-50 mph winds last week December 21-23. The Suburban in Nebraska barely started, auto door locks failed, auto start failed, rear lift gate needed assistance to raise, and took 3 hours of driving to warm up the interior. In Nebraska with 50mph winds we had an extreme air leak at the upper drivers door due to the door frame being pulled away from the body seal, not the glass but the metal frame. Mileage dropped from 20.2 mpg on Wed to 9-11 mpg on Thursday, even a new Suburban was struggling in the extreme winter weather.

Last edited:

Johnw

Dec 28, 2022
Gallery
Toronto
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model S
For your radar, I've used a mirror tap for the radar hookup as shown in this thread below, and it works great!

Sorry to hear of your problems and frustration in the cold weather. If your dealer is local maybe they could put your Raptor in the service department, once thawed, add lubrication to the rear latch to prevent freezing, and add seal lubrication to the roof seals to resist moisture. Yes, a warm garage always helps.

I took @Johnw post as he was loving his new Bronco Raptor in the snow from a performance standpoint, not that he was disagreeing with the issues your experiencing. Hopefully some of us on this site can assist in helping alleviate those issues for you.

Just a FYI, I live in Michigan and rented a new fully optioned out Suburban to drive to our daughters in North Platte Nebraska and Denver Colorado in the -15 degree weather with 20-50 mph winds last week December 21-23. The Suburban in Nebraska barely started, auto door locks failed, auto start failed, rear lift gate needed assistance to raise, and took 3 hours of driving to warm up the interior. In Nebraska with 50mph winds we had an extreme air leak at the upper drivers door due to the door frame being pulled away from the body seal, not the glass but the metal frame. Mileage dropped from 20.2 mpg on Wed to 9-11 mpg on Thursday, even a new Suburban was struggling in the extreme winter weathe

This thing is a BEAST in the cold weather. I love it!
also check this out

Top Member Reactions