Touchscreen / CarPlay Issue

onthelookout

Founding Member
Sep 19, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Recently, my Raptor has started to experience issues with the touchscreen / CarPlay (note, I always use CarPlay, so probably need to go without it for a bit to see if the issue is also prevalent). Basically, what occurs is at certain times (particularly when shifting into reverse and the rear camera turns on, or if the car changes from day to night modes), the touchscreen freezes for several seconds and a loud static noise is played through the speakers, and then after those 3-5 seconds goes back to normal as if nothing happened. It is mainly bothersome when shifting into reverse to park, and if I move the screen shows a frozen image for when I first shifted into the gear (albiet, on one occasion the screens didn't turn off after the vehicle shut off / doors were opened, and I needed to restart / shut off for the entertainment system to turn off). Anyone experience something similar with their touchscreen / CarPlay, and what fix may be required?

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
Mine was making a static/obnoxious buzzing noise from time to time when shifting into reverse and at random other times. I use CarPlay almost all the time so I can’t tell if it was Carolay related or not.

It may be a coincidence, but it seemed like it started to happen after a software update. Lasted for a couple weeks and now I just realized it hasn’t happened in a few weeks.

Apparently my theory to ignore it and maybe it would go away (like via a new software update) worked.

sorry I’ve got nothing to offer beyond that. hope yours goes away similarly.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
My Raptor is on Ford Power-Up 3.5.4, updated on 27Aug23. I have not experienced the above.

However, last week on a road trip I noticed a different CarPlay issue.
Playing Amazon music through CarPlay, pulled into rest area and shut engine off without stopping/pausing the audio on CarPlay Synch4 screen, music started playing on my iphone, I was unable to pause the music on the iphone, controls visible but would not react, left iphone in car as I didn't want to sit there try to figure it out.
2nd stop, same thing happened when I shut the engine off with the audio transfering to the iphone and won't stop, this time I restarted the engine and the audio returned through CarPlay, I attempted to stop on the Synch4 screen and on the iphone and neither worked. I shut the engine back off and rebooted the iphone to stop the music.
On my way back, I stopped again and this time I was able to pause the audio on the Synch4 screen before shutting off the engine and all was good. Maybe that's how it's suppose to operate? I haven't used CarPlay enough to learn it's preferred processes. I was also experiencing troubles changing sound tracks, I just ended up leaving it alone as 80 on the freeway didn't seem like a good poking and learning situation.

Just checked the wife's 2023 Badlands, it updated to ford Power-Up 4.2.1.2 on Oct 8, 2023. I should try updating the Raptor.

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
CarPlay in the Ford is a bit dodgy. I’ve had Spotify freeze on a few occasions and OnX Off-road really doesn’t like it when I jump in and out of the car (with my phone) on the trail. I figure the dodging is a small price to pay for all the other convenience,

im on Ford Power up 4.2.3 for reference

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
Also on 4.2.3

CarPlay is unstable over long periods of time (roughly 2 hours or more). But It can be restarted via the native Ford display software.

OP
onthelookout

onthelookout

Founding Member
Sep 19, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
For reference, I am on 4.2.3 as well. I think I'll go a few days without CarPlay to see if the issues with the Touchscreen persist, or if they are solely caused when CarPlay is in use. Appreciate the feedback.

@TurboS, I have had some similar issues with music continuing on my phone, or it starts on my phone as opposed to the car stereo system. But, I typically do not need to pause the music or anything when shutting down (it has just been the one or two times that the stereo stayed on post shut-off / door opening), and it restarts where it left off.

Top Member Reactions