UPR Braptor Catch Can Development! Let’s GOOOOO!

Gibby1392

Apr 16, 2023
Gallery
Washington
Military
US Navy
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2019 Dodge Charger Scatpack
SO...I just learned a lesson. Just because you don't see liquid sloshing around doesn't mean there isn't anything there. If you take a look at the image of the can that I showed earlier it appears dry as a bone.
1701721431318-png.11137

I decided to remove the system while I did some more investigating to make sure I wasn't causing any issues by having it installed. It's <10 min job so no big deal. But when I took a closer look at the can it occurred to me that there was some brownish coloring near the magnet AND is seemed the slightest bit uneven (there's a crescent-shaped area in the top-left of the image). So I stuck a flathead down there and quickly realized it wasn't 'dry' as much as it was a thick sludge that gave the appearance of being dry.

So a few minutes of cleaning it out w/ paper towels and then re-install. So apparently it is catching some crud, but for some reason in mine it's drying out pretty quickly.

Lesson Learned here is I may just need to check more frequently to catch it before it has a chance to dry out (as in monthly ???).

View attachment 11142

View attachment 11143
You’re going through exactly what I went through. I put my catch can on about 700 miles and checked on it about every 800-1000 miles or so and didn’t get squat. Then after about 3500 miles I checked it and bam! There was a bit of oil in the bottom! In my experience just let it do its thing. Here’s a video of mine once it finally caught some oil.

Attachments

• IMG_7721.mov
    18.5 MB

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired
SO...I just learned a lesson. Just because you don't see liquid sloshing around doesn't mean there isn't anything there. If you take a look at the image of the can that I showed earlier it appears dry as a bone.

I decided to remove the system while I did some more investigating to make sure I wasn't causing any issues by having it installed. It's <10 min job so no big deal. But when I took a closer look at the can it occurred to me that there was some brownish coloring near the magnet AND is seemed the slightest bit uneven (there's a crescent-shaped area in the top-left of the image). So I stuck a flathead down there and quickly realized it wasn't 'dry' as much as it was a thick sludge that gave the appearance of being dry.

So a few minutes of cleaning it out w/ paper towels and then re-install. So apparently it is catching some crud, but for some reason in mine it's drying out pretty quickly.

Lesson Learned here is I may just need to check more frequently to catch it before it has a chance to dry out (as in monthly ???).

View attachment 11143
Curious, I had the same issue at 5,000. I chalked it up to heat since I was in 90-125°F ambient temperatures. You gotta love Death Valley in July. 🔥

Top Member Reactions