TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Informative video for those of us getting our Bronco Raptors with the beadlock capable wheels that may want to remove or replace the beauty rings for refinishing, etc... Note the video is with the Sasquatch wheels that also are forged.

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
There should be a anti-corrosive lubrication (anti seize) for the dissimilar metals or rolled threads vs cut threads when assembled. What he may be experiencing in the above video is thread galling due to not enough anti seize during assembly. A preventive measure, just to be safe, is when loosening the bolts start by just loosening the bolt very slightly, maybe 5-10 degrees or less, then reverse the direction to tighten but don't go far enough to actually tighten the bolt, then reverse the direction to loosen the bolt and go another few degrees past your first attempt, then reverse to tighten again but not as far as fist time. Keep repeating until the bolt has loosened to the point it easily removes. Basically your working the bolt out vs forcing it out if you were to continue to turn in one direction.

This technique also works well when removing spark plugs from Aluminum heads.

Last edited:
OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
That could be painful with the beauty rings. 20 something bolts per ring x5. That's a lot of coaxing
Once you've done a few it gets quicker, especially if you don't run into any stubborn ones.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
I didn't have any issues removing a beauty ring from my Bronco when I got a nail in my tire. Luckily, they all came out easy.

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I didn't have any issues removing a beauty ring from my Bronco when I got a nail in my tire. Luckily, they all came out easy.
Like they should. Very likely the author of the video just happened to have a rare case. If ever a loosening bolt starts to feel snug immediately stop and use the above procedure to avoid pulling the threads out.

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
Also worth sharing - related to this topic: I did the Off-Roadeo a couple weeks ago (which was excellent). the instructors asked if anyone had any experience off-road driving so they could be the 'chase' vehicle (last in line) and picking up / dropping off one of the instructors...interestingly, no one else at the event had any experience (which is also an interesting note WRT to the type of folks who are now coming into the fold via Bronco ownership)...so I ended up doing it and, hence, spending quite a bit of time in the truck with one of the instructors. We talked about all kinds of stuff but, on the subject of wheels, he and a lot of his hard-core off-road buddies were really big on a line of wheels from Method with something they call 'Bead Grip'...similar to stuff I've seen on certain mountain bike rims. They claim significant increases in bead-holding and do it on both sides of the wheel versus the beadlocks offered for the BRaptor...though the outside of the wheel is the more likely to de-bead. They're also DOT approved for on-highway use.
I ordered the standard wheel on the BRaptor with the intention of doing something aftermarket...currently thinking of doing the Method 702 in bronze on my white BR. (https://www.methodracewheels.com/collections/all/products/702-bronze-1?variant=13608308670525)

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Also worth sharing - related to this topic: I did the Off-Roadeo a couple weeks ago (which was excellent). the instructors asked if anyone had any experience off-road driving so they could be the 'chase' vehicle (last in line) and picking up / dropping off one of the instructors...interestingly, no one else at the event had any experience (which is also an interesting note WRT to the type of folks who are now coming into the fold via Bronco ownership)...so I ended up doing it and, hence, spending quite a bit of time in the truck with one of the instructors. We talked about all kinds of stuff but, on the subject of wheels, he and a lot of his hard-core off-road buddies were really big on a line of wheels from Method with something they call 'Bead Grip'...similar to stuff I've seen on certain mountain bike rims. They claim significant increases in bead-holding and do it on both sides of the wheel versus the beadlocks offered for the BRaptor...though the outside of the wheel is the more likely to de-bead. They're also DOT approved for on-highway use.
I ordered the standard wheel on the BRaptor with the intention of doing something aftermarket...currently thinking of doing the Method 702 in bronze on my white BR. (https://www.methodracewheels.com/collections/all/products/702-bronze-1?variant=13608308670525)
Good looking wheel, I like it! You can see the parallel ribs/groove 'Bead Grip' in the wheel where the bead sits to mitigate the tire rolling off the wheel during air down.

Maybe the site Admins can duplicate your post in our aftermarket wheel thread.
Aftermarket wheels for the Bronco Raptor

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
Good looking wheel, I like it! You can see the parallel ribs/groove 'Bead Grip' in the wheel where the bead sits to mitigate the tire
Good looking wheel, I like it! You can see the parallel ribs/groove 'Bead Grip' in the wheel where the bead sits to mitigate the tire rolling off the wheel during air down.

rolling off the wheel during air down.

Aftermarket wheels for the Bronco Raptinstruct

The instructors were telling me they run 6psi on those method wheels and some even run as little as 2-3psi (they're all 4Runner / Taco guys...slightly lighter vehicles). I was surprised by that.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX

Good idea! I added his post to the aftermarket wheel thread.

jgtuna

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Houston, TX
Icon also makes a DOT compliant wheel that pinches the bead against the inside of the rim to hold. Getting good reviews.

Top Member Reactions