🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
Has anyone experienced this on the Bronco Raptor. The last two days when I have cold started the first 5 seconds has a nasty, loud rattle. It goes away promptly but it sounds like a diesel starting up. Ill take a video tomorrow. I tried to recreate it after cold starting this evening and its not happening.

OP
Tye

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
Video attached. Does this sound like cam phaser that have plagued the raptor trucks and some of the 2.7L broncos.

Attachments

• IMG_6798.MOV
    29 MB
Last edited:

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Just based on video observation, appears the chattering is timed with the radiator shutters closing. I have not noticed this chattering sound on any startup.

TCopp

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2022
Gallery
KC
Current Ride
Raptor
First Responder
Paramedic
Yeah, I noticed the shutters closing as well. The sound stopped when they finished closing.

I have not had this issue, but yeah, that is a terrible sound.

OP
Tye

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
While i wish it was the shutters, based on this video its definitely the cam phasers. guess the 3.0 engine is susceptible to this issue as well. I am at 1600 miles as a point of reference.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
While i wish it was the shutters, based on this video its definitely the cam phasers. guess the 3.0 engine is susceptible to this issue as well. I am at 1600 miles as a point of reference.
I was really hoping shutters, in both video's above, it sounds like plastic shutters and gears clattering. Please keep us posted on resolution. Hoping for the best.

stumpm2

Founding Member
Jun 10, 2022
Gallery
Rockies
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 F350 Tremor, 1967 Ford Bronco
Video attached. Does this sound like cam phaser that have plagued the raptor trucks and some of the 2.7L broncos.
Sounds just like the 3.5L Cam Phaser Rattle that my wife's Expedition is experiencing.

TCopp

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2022
Gallery
KC
Current Ride
Raptor
First Responder
Paramedic
How many miles are on yours?

OP
Tye

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
1600 miles, and I broke the engine in for 1000 miles before going WOT.

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
I had the cam phaser issue on my GEN 2 FRAP but the sound mine made was not nearly so distinct a rattle...much more subtle than that.

OP
Tye

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
UPDATE: After dealer inspection it is the cam phaser. So our motors are susceptible to this issue as well. Bad news is parts are on backorder so no ETA when it can be repaired.

OP
Tye

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily lol

OP
Tye

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
what dealer are you using? (curious because I see that you're in the Bay Area, as am I)
Walnut Creek Ford, which is much farther away from me than 2 other dealers.

I spoke to Redwood City and Serramonte, and looked at a bunch of reviews and did not feel confident either could perform this to the level I expect. I fought with Serramonte on a different issue as they didn't even want to service a Bronco Raptor. Im also still waiting to hear back on the warranty repair of a cross threaded spare tire stud from them (3 weeks and counting now). IMO, neither RWC or Serramonte want to touch Bronco Raptors in the service department.

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
Walnut Creek Ford, which is much farther away from me than 2 other dealers.

I spoke to Redwood City and Serramonte, and looked at a bunch of reviews and did not feel confident either could perform this to the level I expect. I fought with Serramonte on a different issue as they didn't even want to service a Bronco Raptor. Im also still waiting to hear back on the warranty repair of a cross threaded spare tire stud from them (3 weeks and counting now). IMO, neither RWC or Serramonte want to touch Bronco Raptors in the service department.
I've pm'ed you

OP
Tye

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
Notes from service record:

2206 ENGINE RATTLE ( 42 ) 6256 REPLACE ALL VCTS.

PERFORM VEHICLE INSPECTION FOR ENGINE NOISE DURING COLD STARTUP AND CONFIRM CUSTOMER CONCERN. ALLOWED ENGINE COLD SOAK, DURING INITIAL STARTUP A RATTLE NOISE COMING FROM FRONT OF ENGINE UNDER FRONT COVER.

CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL, FOUND LEVEL OK, CHECK OASIS FOR ISB, NONE FOUND, CHECK TECH SUPPORT AND FOUND FEW VEHICLES WITH SAME CONCER.

CHECK VCT SOLENOID OPERATION, BY UNPLUGGING VCTS NOISE REMAIN WITH NO CHANGE REQUIRE FURTHER INSPECTION,

VCTS

REMOVAL OF VALVE COVER TO CHECK

FOLLOWING WSM SECTION REMOVE AIR INLET PIPE, EVAP PURGE VALVE, IGNITION COILS & THROTTLE BODY, DISCONNECT WIRING HARNESS AND REMOVE L/H VALVE COVER, USING AN ADJUSTABLE WRENCH TO ROTATE CAMSHAFT, FOUND THAT INTAKE CAMSHAFT ROTATE INDEPENDENTLY FROM SPROCKET ON BOTH DIRECTION (NOT LOCKING ON PLACE ).COMPARE TO EXHAUST VCT IS LOCK AND NOT ROTATE.

Interesting take away here is this in particular: CHECK TECH SUPPORT AND FOUND FEW VEHICLES WITH SAME CONCERN. So, I guess mine is not the only one that has been reported to ford and requiring a fix, just no one else is posting about it.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor

PERFORM VEHICLE INSPECTION FOR ENGINE NOISE DURING COLD STARTUP AND CONFIRM CUSTOMER CONCERN. ALLOWED ENGINE COLD SOAK, DURING INITIAL STARTUP A RATTLE NOISE COMING FROM FRONT OF ENGINE UNDER FRONT COVER.

CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL, FOUND LEVEL OK, CHECK OASIS FOR ISB, NONE FOUND, CHECK TECH SUPPORT AND FOUND FEW VEHICLES WITH SAME CONCER.

CHECK VCT SOLENOID OPERATION, BY UNPLUGGING VCTS NOISE REMAIN WITH NO CHANGE REQUIRE FURTHER INSPECTION,

VCTS

FOLLOWING WSM SECTION REMOVE AIR INLET PIPE, EVAP PURGE VALVE, IGNITION COILS & THROTTLE BODY, DISCONNECT WIRING HARNESS AND REMOVE L/H VALVE COVER, USING AN ADJUSTABLE WRENCH TO ROTATE CAMSHAFT, FOUND THAT INTAKE CAMSHAFT ROTATE INDEPENDENTLY FROM SPROCKET ON BOTH DIRECTION (NOT LOCKING ON PLACE ).COMPARE TO EXHAUST VCT IS LOCK AND NOT ROTATE.

Interesting take away here is this in particular: CHECK TECH SUPPORT AND FOUND FEW VEHICLES WITH SAME CONCERN. So, I guess mine is not the only one that has been reported to ford and requiring a fix, just no one else is posting about it.
I agree with you as we have a fraction of the total Bronco Raptors produced represented here. I do like the "FEW" in the statement. I also suspect this is referring to any of the Fords with the EcoBoost engines since they all have the VCTS. Still, I'm sadened for your misfortune, hoping this works out the best for you. 🤞
Thank you for keeping us updated

erjdrvr

Feb 10, 2023
Gallery
Indy
Current Ride
Gen3
Sorry about your phaser issues!

My sales rep texted last night that they had just taken in a 22 Braptor in EG with 3,500mls. Since I have one on order & haven't driven a Braptor, we thought we would check it out. Anyway the owner traded it on a new F150 Raptor because the Braptor had to have the engine replaced. I didn't really press them on exactly what caused the engine replacement, since I only wanted to drive it.

The interior was still dirty because the dealer had not had a chance to clean it. But looking in the engine bay it was obvious the engine was shiny & clean while the surrounding bay was dusty.

I've read of a lady on FB that had a similar rattle & the Gen2 pre 07/18 had problems. I had a post 07/18 Gen2 & never had any problems & have a Gen3 now. I have not heard any Gen3 having phaser problems so sure that Ford will get it figured out.

Anyway on the Gen2 the tech had the option to lift the cab off the frame or removing most of the front end to do the phaser repair. So removing the engine may be the quickest way to repair.

Attachments

• 20230304_095056.jpg
    20230304_095056.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230304_095525.jpg
    20230304_095525.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

ChiliPepper

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 3, 2022
Gallery
Cottonwood Heights, UT
Current Ride
Ford Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
First Responder
27 yrs SAR, Wilderness EMT, retired

VCTS

In researching this problem, have you come across the root cause?

Top Member Reactions