PPF, did you remove the fenders and more?

Obiwan

Mar 4, 2023
Gallery
Southwest
Current Ride
Raptor
Hello everyone, I apologize if this has already been covered. For those of you who did PPF did you have the installer remove fenders, tail lights, door handles, top etc?

I am getting it done early next week but not sure how far I want them to tear into it and curious what others have done. Thanks so much in advance.

This thread has some good info to assist in your decision

I had all painted surfaces covered in PPF. I did not want my flares removed, just one more thing to get loose or for a clip to break. Just to let you know the clips are hard to find and expensive. The only thing I had removed was the rear tire, tire carrier, rear raptor badge and rear black bronco. You can not cover the rear swing out door properly if these items are not removed. Everything else can be done with no issues if you have a competent installer. I have had about 10 vehicles done in PPF and have never had any of them disassembled and have never had an issue. I also had ceramic coating over the PPF, the wheels, hard top, fender flares, bumpers etc. It looks great and helps with cleaning as well. The ceramic coating on the fender flares looks great.

I had all painted surfaces covered in PPF. I did not want my flares removed, just one more thing to get loose or for a clip to break. Just to let you know the clips are hard to find and expensive. The only thing I had removed was the rear tire, tire carrier, rear raptor badge and rear black bronco. You can not cover the rear swing out door properly if these items are not removed. Everything else can be done with no issues if you have a competent installer. I have had about 10 vehicles done in PPF and have never had any of them disassembled and have never had an issue. I also had ceramic coating over the PPF, the wheels, hard top, fender flares, bumpers etc. It looks great and helps with cleaning as well. The ceramic coating on the fender flares looks great.
Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.

Do you feel it will hold up to bushes and tree limbs off road? Im thinking about doing it but afraid that it wont hold up.

Do you feel it will hold up to bushes and tree limbs off road? Im thinking about doing it but afraid that it wont hold up.
It will as long as its light and nothing very heavy. The stuff is very durable and does a great job on stone chips and pin stripping from tree branches. I had a large stone strike the hood of my Audi I was driving on the highway at 70 plus MPH. The stone tore the PPF but did not damage the paint. I just had the PPF replaced.

Decided the only way to wrap one of these properly is to remove the fenders, vents, seals, etc if you plan to take it off road. Having seen another in person with dirt collecting in edges that weren't wrapped that made up my mind on the spot.
Word to the wise, buy lots of fender clips in advance. About 80 or so and some double sided tape for the rear door trim sections.

Front fenders are all clips, rear fenders are clips and 3 bolts per side.

Decided the only way to wrap one of these properly is to remove the fenders, vents, seals, etc if you plan to take it off road. Having seen another in person with dirt collecting in edges that weren't wrapped that made up my mind on the spot.
Word to the wise, buy lots of fender clips in advance. About 80 or so and some double sided tape for the rear door trim sections.

Front fenders are all clips, rear fenders are clips and 3 bolts per side.
Dirt collecting on film edges is due to improperly sealed edges post installation. The edges must be sealed with a ceramic coating or detail spray before being driven. I've never experience dirt collection or needed to clean any of my film edges and anyone that does should return to the film installer for correction.

Dirt collecting on film edges is due to improperly sealed edges post installation. The edges must be sealed with a ceramic coating or detail spray before being driven. I've never experience dirt collection or needed to clean any of my film edges and anyone that does should return to the film installer for correction.
Perhaps so but whatever the cause I now have a very stripped down Raptor with no ppf seams and can confirm that just about every clip breaks lol. ;)

Amazon product ASIN B07FCSHH1G

Some progress shots from matte PPF being installed last month. Turned out great, no broken clips.
6851DDFE-6DB8-4A92-B56D-AD3A54AC33C1.jpeg

Attachments

• C577896E-9AB0-4743-94D9-30EB367E9E7A.jpeg
    C577896E-9AB0-4743-94D9-30EB367E9E7A.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 67498FBB-13F9-4D54-97EB-A1CA42FE1BF5.jpeg
    67498FBB-13F9-4D54-97EB-A1CA42FE1BF5.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 37
Back