Military
US Army Military Police K9
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police
How did they handle the tailgate reinforcement bracket? Did they remove it and install PPF below or just got around it?
They want around it with the PPF on mine.

BRaptorBoy

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
British Columbia, Canada
On the topic of PPF.. Is it better to remove fender mouldings, gills, etc., basically all the parts to assist in getting the PPF into/under these items or is it alright to wrap around/tuck into them?
Also, for those of you lucky folks that have received their Bronco Raptor, how are the silver bash plates and front bumper holding up to winter road conditions/rocks, debris and such. Has anyone used PPF on these parts or gone with LineX to protect them? (I think TurboS used PPF if I'm not mistaken)

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police
They removed my Gills, Fender flares to Wrap under them. I did take a 2K+ mile trip after the wrap In January.
I did not notice any issues with my Wrap. They did a courtesy wash an wrap inspection and did not find any issues either.
I do like the Idea of Line X for the bash plates. I believe some one had them in Black other then Silver.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Removing items depends on the installer and if they are using precut kits vs. bulk film installation.
Xpel has very good precut kits available for every body panel on our Bronco Raptors. Xpel also has an option for registered installers to have "wrapped edges" added to each body panel kit. I did the wrapped edges and all the edges are wrapped where feasible except the front edge of the doors which isn't really noticeable and I didn't feel was needed. I didn't remove any parts during the PPF install using the kits. On the rear swing gate I choose the basic kit that didn't require removing anything to save install time and with the 37" spare tire mounted it covers a majority of the swing gate anyways. With these kits the area next to the flares and the fender gills the PPF edge is down inside the panel indent therefore very very difficult to see any PPF edges. For myself, wrapping the edges doubles the install time.
Previous vehicles I've installed PPF there hasn't been a precut kit available, in that case I used bulk roll film then cut and wrapped the edges of the film at installation time. In this case it's much easier to remove badges, door handles, etc prior to installation.
It's also Critical the vehicle is absolutely clean including cracks and crevices since you saturate the surface with slip solution during installation and any debris particle will find it's way out which can ruin a perfect PPF install. So the installer may make the call to remove items prior as a precaution.
I did stealth PPF on the silver plastic upper bumper portion. I have thought about the silver powder coated bash plate but I'm not sure it's actually needed, same as the black powder coated bumper. I've been told on the Wranglers the black powder coating on the front bumpers don't stone chip, maybe someone else can add some insight. I'll try a test piece of stealth PPF on the bash plate, since it's a rough texture I'm concerned it'll be difficult to avoid micro air pockets. On the black portion I'm concerned even the stealth will be quite noticeable, that wouldn't work for me.

Anyone have experience with the front powder coated bumpers or bash plates stone chipping?

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police
Well said Turbo. Did you install yours?
This was the first I head of this. My Ford Rep told me when we were preparing for delivery. The put the film on over my Stripe kit Raptor Graphic. . I also had a Ceramic coat installed over the PPF.
I am extremely pleased with mine

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
This was the first I head of this. My Ford Rep told me when we were preparing for delivery. The put the film on over my Stripe kit Raptor Graphic. . I also had a Ceramic coat installed over the PPF.
Thank you and yes I have been installing PPF as a hobby for over 20 years.

jgtuna

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2022
Gallery
Houston, TX
Getting this done by my dealer in 2 weeks (xpel kit with edge wrap and ceramic over the top)…glad to hear worked well on yours…hoping same for me!

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police

jgtuna; Good choice, I know you will like it, It gives an extra shine.​

HaugenRacing

Feb 3, 2023
Gallery
Scottsdale, AZ
Current Ride
2022 Ford Bronco Raptor
20230305_131449~2.jpg

Just finished the base wrap. Satin black. Still gotta powder coat skid plate and then the graphics.

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police
I will interested to see how that turns out.

Obiwan

Mar 4, 2023
Gallery
Southwest
Current Ride
Raptor
Good info in here, seems like a bit of work to remove the flares. Do they have screws/bolts and plastic anchors holding them in or just plastic anchors? Very hard to gauge from the pictures. Nice to see it can be done without removing the fender liners.

Seems that once the flares are off removing the fender vents is just tabs accessible from inside the engine bay.

Not sure that removing the plastic hood scoop makes sense.

I removed the door keypad already, what did yall do about the bronco badge and raptor badge on rear door?

RyeLee

Jan 28, 2023
Gallery
Atlanta, GA
Current Ride
BMW
Having my bash plate, lower bumper and tow hooks painted black this week and PPF next week with an installer who has the precuts like TurboS was mentioning. Will report back once completed.
Decided to leave the tow hooks silver for now. Very Pleased with it. PPF next week. I asked the guy who did this paint job about pulling the flares off and breaking clips and he said they’ve had the same problem multiple times even though they know what they’re doing (ford dealer). He said it has to do with the way the clip sinks deep into the plastic so there’s just nowhere to grab the clip to pull it back out. Just a heads up for anybody needing to do work that involves removing the flares, go ahead and order plenty of clips to replace the ones that will inevitably break.

Attachments

• F85E219A-61FB-4379-BC5E-1AEE144EC8E1.jpeg
    F85E219A-61FB-4379-BC5E-1AEE144EC8E1.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 50

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police
I like the black bash plate, is it powder coated?

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
Decided to leave the tow hooks silver for now. Very Pleased with it. PPF next week. I asked the guy who did this paint job about pulling the flares off and breaking clips and he said they’ve had the same problem multiple times even though they know what they’re doing (ford dealer). He said it has to do with the way the clip sinks deep into the plastic so there’s just nowhere to grab the clip to pull it back out. Just a heads up for anybody needing to do work that involves removing the flares, go ahead and order plenty of clips to replace the ones that will inevitably break.
That looks great! Did you take the parts off yourself and take them in or did you just drop off your BR and have them do it? The reason I ask is, I found a local powder coater that will do it, but I have to take him all the parts. So I was curious how much of a job it is to do that.

RyeLee

Jan 28, 2023
Gallery
Atlanta, GA
Current Ride
BMW
That looks great! Did you take the parts off yourself and take them in or did you just drop off your BR and have them do it? The reason I ask is, I found a local powder coater that will do it, but I have to take him all the parts. So I was curious how much of a job it is to do that.
I dropped it at the shop Monday morning. Back Wednesday afternoon. I don’t think those parts would be a big deal to remove yourself though if you had to take just the parts to them.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
The upper plastic portion surrounding the tow hooks is removed by the exposed black plastic push pins followed by a couple of metal hidden clips near the tow hooks. Once the exposed push pins are removed (I used a plastic panel removal tool), gently pull outward to un-lodge remaining hidden clips. The silver steel bash plate just has the 4 large bolts, front upper 2 need removed, lower back 2 are slotted, and it's heavy. I would recommend removing them and dropping off since it's a 10 minute task to remove.

Top Member Reactions