What did you do to your Bronco Raptor today?

Thank you! So you’re going to love todays episode when Randy learns he doesn’t know Jack, but soon does.

Intending to do a Friday night snow run with Gold Country Broncos group, I decide to depart from the staging area after a miscommunication on start time (it was pushed back after I left home unbeknownst to me).

The usual staging area is a couple miles off pavement due to our recent record snowfall. Which left the trail a deeply rutted to the diff, snaking, slippery at the bottom, yet solidly frozen mess,

I had to air down going in to the staging area to 10 psi after barely getting up a long climb. Waited in vain for my group, then decided to bail and drove back out.

After no one showed (yet) I decided to head back out. I ran into a few of my group on the way out, then about 400 yds from pavement I lost the bead on my passenger front tire. Fortunately I had the tire pressure displayed on the instrument panel and realized what happened immediately.

A de-beaded tire with the The bottom of the truck sitting snuggly on the frozen trail presents some challenges. So I spent my alone time while waiting for the Calvary (contacted by radio) digging (chopping?, Ice Axing?) out the front end and jacking point under the frame.

fortunately, I had the presence of mind to remove side steps before leaving home. This allowed me to save a step as digging out a jacking point with those on would be impossible.

since this was front end and how the truck was sitting, the easy jacking solution was out of play (frame too high for my jack). The Calvary arrived with a high lift but the orientation of the truck didn’t allow safely lifting with it (why I don’t own one). Finally dug out enough snow to insert max tracks and used factory scissor jack after almost all digging, spare ready and lugs off the front tire.

pro tip: learn how to use your jack before you need it! It did take me a few minutes to figure out that the bolt used to hold down the jack is the same bolt you need to attach the extension to your jack. Beyond that it’s a simple scissor jack. Just something you don’t want to figure out when tired and stressed.

pro tip: I could manage the wheel/tires okay, but they are heavy and getting the spare on the front end while down in a rut is hard. Make plenty of space before lifting the truck. I thought I did, but had to do a little more. Better yet, don’t wheel alone (I didnt think I was going in) or at least bring a friend. It took to people to get the tire on. I would have got it eventually, but it would have required a LOT of time, effort and swearing.

After getting the tire, everything buttoned up nicely. Fortunately, despite not having someone immediately with me, I had everything I need and the ability to extract my self. But it would have been a much longer night without the cavalry.

and if I wasn’t able to get out, I had satellite messenger, radio, food, water, sleeping bag, mattress etc. and even a back pack stove for coffee in the morning. When you’re an idiot like me, you need to be prepared.

Root cause? I think the air pressure was too low for the conditions. In fresh snow, I’ve gone lower, but the deep, frozen, snaking ruts created more side low stresses than figured on.

View attachment 6841View attachment 6842
Just came in this morning, Ford to the rescue. A little late as usual…

View attachment 6845
Reading Through Randy's troublesome night and his ability to recover and survive I was relating to long ago similiar circumstances (you remember them for a lifetime) I reached the photo's and that was the OMG moment.

Would having the tires mounted on beadlock capable wheels with beadlock rings helped prevent this inside bead from breaking loose? I'm a beadlock newby so pardon if this is dumb question.

Fortunately everyone survived and no injuries, you must have encountered a few questionable safety related circumstances.

no I have standard rims. Those rings are expensive, then you need to learn to install them yourself or find an off-road shop to do it for you (they’re not street legal) and then you have to maintain them (retorqueing). the cost for someone to install won’t be cheap as they require installing/torquing a zillion bolts.

always planned on beadlocks, just thought I’d wait until my tires had more miles so I could replace both.

Im considering the Icon Rebound Pros which seem to be a good compromise, but still a pain to install. Unfortunately, they only offer Raptor rims with 0 offset currently. My Raptor is wide enough already

Reading Through Randy's troublesome night and his ability to recover and survive I was relating to long ago similiar circumstances (you remember them for a lifetime) I reached the photo's and that was the OMG moment.

Would having the tires mounted on beadlock capable wheels with beadlock rings helped prevent this inside bead from breaking loose? I'm a beadlock newby so pardon if this is dumb question.

Fortunately everyone survived and no injuries, you must have had a few questionable safety related circumstances.
Randy’s and idiot, but ain’t no dummy. After seeing the problem, realizing I was alone I took time to step back, assess my situation and plan an attack. Central to that was having the truck lifted the least time possible. That resulted in a lot of digging first, removing and positioning the spare, removing wheel lugs and determining the best jacking strategy and equipment before attempting to lift. My truck was in the “air” for 2 or three minutes (not easy to get wheel on in a hole). Also I was virtually high centered I had a little more comfort I would walk away with most of my appendages.

another tip. I was stressed and working hard when the Calvary arrived. Lots of help, but too much help all at once in too many areas. I felt like a dick, but I had to stop folks a couple of times (eg trying to lift with jack while me and another guy were getting the lugs off the front wheel. (That’s not easy with tire spun off and pinned. Trust me!). So I could understand what they were doing and we everyone is safe. But I tried to be the nicest dick possible.

I threw the outside bead, so the rings would have helped in this instance. I bought base wheels with intention of buying true beadlocks later.

Wow, I'm glad you weren't alone when that happened! Since you air down often do you think you will get some beadlock wheels or just not air down to 10 psi again?
Short term. Air down less. I can always air down more if I HAVE too. Another lesson learned!

Longer Term. Beadlocks

no I have standard rims. Those rings are expensive, then you need to learn to install them yourself or find an off-road shop to do it for you (they’re not street legal) and then you have to maintain them (retorqueing). the cost for someone to install won’t be cheap as they require installing/torquing a zillion bolts.

always planned on beadlocks, just thought I’d wait until my tires had more miles so I could replace both.

Im considering the Icon Rebound Pros which seem to be a good compromise, but still a pain to install. Unfortunately, they only offer Raptor rims with 0 offset currently. My Raptor is wide enough already
These Method wheels mitigate inside and outside beads from breaking loose and have a +12.7 offset.

These Method wheels mitigate inside and outside beads from breaking loose and have a +12.7 offset.
Methods were also on the radar (offsets are better), but pavement princess is not. What makes these pavement princess wheels?

Methods were also on the radar (offsets are better), but pavement princess is not. What makes these pavement princess wheels?
Agreed, the referring Methods are Not pavement princess wheels. This is a software issue, when I linked above post to the specific Method wheels post the site software uses the 1st post in that thread, but when you select the link it will take you directly to the intended post.

Good to know, 701's are also in the "bead grip" group. Method bead grip technology wheels are labeled 701-707.
I'd posted about these in the aftermarket wheel thread a ways back. They hit my radar when I went to the Off-Roadeo and spect some outside-the-classroom time with two of the instructors. They were avid / active off-road guys and were singing the praises of these wheels...said they were running as little as 3-5 psi and never seen an issue. I was going to go that route right out the gate...and thinking that I'd want less offset that the stockers...after having gone zero offset with some Methods on my Frap. But after some driving in the slop in the Brap...I can't believe how much crap gets thrown up on the side of the truck already...and I ended up with the expensive beadlocks on my Brap in an attempt to get it built faster (that strategy may not have worked out so well) which makes the calculus so sell / swap them a little different.

Last edited:
Good news, I’m fully functional again. Reseated , balanced and mounted for the cost of a generous tip. Back to the snow!
If you have a larger-group Bronco run on the radar that you wouldn't mind inviting others to, I'd appreciate hearing about it. While it's a big of a haul for me to get up there, I'd like to join a group outing.

Good news, I’m fully functional again. Reseated , balanced and mounted for the cost of a generous tip. Back to the snow!
....with regards to using a jack, does anyone prefer bottle-jacks as a "safer" option? (I'm in full lurking & learning mode) Thanks. 🥃

....with regards to using a jack, does anyone prefer bottle-jacks as a "safer" option? (I'm in full lurking & learning mode) Thanks. 🥃
I carry a bottle jack but, the way I see it, there's just no such thing as 'safe' when you're lifting a few-ton vehicle in a place that's made it necessary to lift your few-ton vehicle.

Farm (aka high-lift) jacks scare the crap out of me so I started carrying a bottle jack as a potential back-stop to my factory jack. One benefit is that they're much smaller...but they also suffer from requiring really solid ground / jacking point to make them useful. I carry a couple big chunks (maybe 10 inches long) of 4x8 leftover pressure-treated redwood in my 'kit' (I also use those as leveling blocks for camping) in addition to my traction boards. I'd use those items to create a solid base on which to set the bottle jack (or factory jack if need be). I haven't used it in the field (and really don't want to ;-). But I have all kinds of stuff with me that I don't want to have to use ;-)

High lift jacks have way more range and can also have other uses beyond what a bottle jack can be used for (for instance, a savvy operator can use a high lift as a manual winch as well).

I've used a 12-ton bottle jack that has a good stroke (?) for years, but still needed a 4-6" wood block to lift enough for the tire to clear the ground. I now have a HF Badland off-road floor jack with 29" stroke; absolutely love it. :love:Obviously, the bottle jack packs a lot smaller than the floor jack. In the snow, I've found my traction board w/ hi-lift jack adapter works well.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 122347.jpg

If you have a larger-group Bronco run on the radar that you wouldn't mind inviting others to, I'd appreciate hearing about it. While it's a big of a haul for me to get up there, I'd like to join a group outing.
Check out Gold Country Broncos events on Facebook. They have a forum too, but that doesn’t get well utilized. Everyone’s welcome.

there’s pretty much something going on almost every weekend. I’ve seen a few people who’ve made the trip up from the bay area.

we usually congregate in Folsom/Placerville area. Last night we met up at Stumpy Meadows lake to take Wentworth Springs Road (not plowed) up to Loon Lake area. Usually a stop at Uncle Tom’s Cabin, a snow covered bar in literally the middle of nowhere. Mormon Emigrant Road (also not plowed) out of Pollock Pines has been the other usual snow run.

C’mon up.

I’m with @fuhrius that no jacking situation is safe. Once I replace my body sliders with frame mounted, I’ll probably add a hi lift jack, but will still carry my factory scissors and bottle jack. They all have their pros and cons, but having all three or wheeling with someone who has jack(s) you don‘t increases your chance of not sleeping in your truck and going home with all the body parts you came with.

I like the bottle jack for the potential to take wheel droop off the table, by lifting the axle. The lower the lift usually translates into a safer lift If you have stable spot to jack off of.

Hi lift jacks have to lift the vehicle until the droop stops and the wheel finally comes off the ground (the Raptor rear axle fixes baby!). The vehicle is up high, the jack wants to lean if you’re on uneven surfaces or a hill and it’s not easy to find a safe jacking point without frame mounted rails. All that said, sometimes it’s the best safest option.

Last night we got it done with the scissor jack (with the extension installed) on top of traction boards (a thick chunk of solid wood would have worked too). We couldn’t get a safe hi -lift jacking point and my bottle check didn’t have enough stroke (something to consider).

hope my blathering is somewhat helpful to your thinking 🤪

Looks like a good time

Back