TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
First, I don't like the looks of wheel locks as I prefer all the lug nuts or bolts to appear identical. However I've always hoped they are a thief deterrent and therefore I try to purchase locks that are as similiar in appearance as possible to the other lug nuts. I ordered the Ford accessories 5 wheel lock kit when I ordered my Bronco Raptor in hopes they would match closely in appearance to the Ford OEM lug nuts. The Ford, McGard, locks are a dealer installed accessory but I didn't have my dealer install.

So, I get my new Bronco Raptor home, I pull off one of the spare tire lug nuts, and of course the locks are about 1/4" longer that the Ford lug nuts, not even close to similar. So I ordered Gorilla Factory Style Buldge wheel lock kit which is the same length, ~1.62" long, as the Ford lug nuts vs the Ford McGard locks that are ~1.87" long. Ford kit was $99, Gorilla locks from Summit racing was half that. I think these look much better, I may purchase all Gorilla lug nuts later just so they are all Chrome. I have ran the Chrome Gorilla lug nuts and locks on my Wrangler thru 3 Michigan salt spraying winters and there isn't any signs of corrosion.

It's important to get the "Factory Style Bulge" as the mating surface to the wheels is a much greater area vs regular bulge lug nuts, thereby reducing wheel stress caused by extremely aggressive driving. Gorilla # 96641DX 14mm x 1.5

NOTE: Remember our Bronco Raptors have F-150 Raptor hubs, therefore studs are 14mm x 1.5 and wheel Torque is 150 ft-lbs.

1666154650266.png

Left to right: Ford lock kit, Ford wheel nut, Gorilla lock nut
26AE096B-EF59-41B4-8482-E2709D9B048E.jpeg

Gorilla lock nut installed
C3242724-6D3E-412E-A89B-B262458EEC20.jpeg

3A351883-33A3-4767-A3F8-5E9ADC573192.jpeg

For reference here is the matching Gorilla lug nuts (to the Gorilla locks as shown above) 14mm x 1.5 in the 13/16" socket size, same size as OEM
1666155647225.png

However, the diameter of the Gorilla locks where the socket fits is .900 in diameter, therefore these 14mm x 1.5 in the 7/8" socket size may match even better.
1666157429204.png

Last edited:

SteelBronco

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2021
Gallery
Western Maryland
Current Ride
Bronco
This is great info albeit a little too late as I have already ordered the factory locking lugs nuts 🥴!!! Now seeing this though I am going to go ahead and order a couple of Gorilla nuts.....if that even sounds right. 😆😆
Thanks again Turbo for this awesome info, I'll be putting it to good use!

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
This is great info albeit a little too late as I have already ordered the factory locking lugs nuts 🥴!!! Now seeing this though I am going to go ahead and order a couple of Gorilla nuts.....if that even sounds right. 😆😆
Your dealer may be able to cancel your order for factory Ford locks since they will arrive thru your dealers parts department separate from your Bronco Raptor.

SteelBronco

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2021
Gallery
Western Maryland
Current Ride
Bronco
I thought about trying to cancel but I'll just write them off and keep them. I am working on your setup now. I really like the looks of them and they're one solid lug nut instead of being capped like the factory style. Thanks....

SteelBronco

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2021
Gallery
Western Maryland
Current Ride
Bronco
So what I did, since I don't have my BR yet I was trying to piece together what all I needed. 5 Locking lug nuts (1 per wheel including spare) and 22 Regular lug nuts (5 per wheel including 2 for spare).
Well I did what anyone would and reached out to Gorilla Automotive to see if they could just make this up in a BR kit. To their surprise they thought they already had one thinking it was the same as the standard Bronco. They will be contacting me to let me know the details of a new kit for these BR's as soon as possible.
See what you started TurboS?? Lol

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I agree, I attempted to obtain info on the Ford locking lug nuts last March before we placed our orders to no avail. Since the Ford locks are specific to only the Bronco Raptor, being 14mm x 1.5 with 5 total locks I expected them to be the correct length.
So what I did, since I don't have my BR yet I was trying to piece together what all I needed. 5 Locking lug nuts (1 per wheel including spare) and 22 Regular lug nuts (5 per wheel including 2 for spare).
Well I did what anyone would and reached out to Gorilla Automotive to see if they could just make this up in a BR kit. To their surprise they thought they already had one thinking it was the same as the standard Bronco. They will be contacting me to let me know the details of a new kit for these BR's as soon as possible.
See what you started TurboS?? Lol
The Gorilla Locks I ordered part number "96641DX5" had the 5 locks, so they do already have the Bronco Raptor specific locks. However your correct in that they don't have a complete kit including the 22 lug nuts.
Is Gorilla assembling a kit using the "66147DX" 7/8" lug nuts or "61147CX" 13/16" lug nuts?
I think the 7/8" may look better however the 13/16" would allow the use of the Ford OEM supplied jack kit lug wrench.

SteelBronco

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2021
Gallery
Western Maryland
Current Ride
Bronco
I did make mention of the 13/16 vs 7/8 and his response was he just stopped me right there. They would have to look into the requirements suitable for the application and go from there. So I said I understand but then having the option to choose either size would also be nice depending on what the consumer may want. Said he would pass it on! If/when I hear something I will let everyone know!

slicktop

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2022
florida
Current Ride
Ford Excursion .... diesel 4x4...
Current Ride #2
1974 Bronco candy apple red, white hard top
First, I don't like the looks of wheel locks as I prefer all the lug nuts or bolts to appear identical. However I've always hoped they are a thief deterrent and therefore I try to purchase locks that are as similiar in appearance as possible to the other lug nuts. I ordered the Ford accessories 5 wheel lock kit when I ordered my Bronco Raptor in hopes they would match closely in appearance to the Ford OEM lug nuts. The Ford, McGard, locks are a dealer installed accessory but I didn't have my dealer install.

So, I get my new Bronco Raptor home, I pull off one of the spare tire lug nuts, and of course the locks are about 1/4" longer that the Ford lug nuts, not even close to similar. So I ordered Gorilla Factory Style Buldge wheel lock kit which is the same length, ~1.62" long, as the Ford lug nuts vs the Ford McGard locks that are ~1.87" long. Ford kit was $99, Gorilla locks from Summit racing was half that. I think these look much better, I may purchase all Gorilla lug nuts later just so they are all Chrome. I have ran the Chrome Gorilla lug nuts and locks on my Wrangler thru 3 Michigan salt spraying winters and there isn't any signs of corrosion.

It's important to get the "Factory Style Bulge" as the mating surface to the wheels is a much greater area vs regular bulge lug nuts, thereby reducing wheel stress caused by extremely aggressive driving. Gorilla # 96641DX 14mm x 1.5

NOTE: Remember our Bronco Raptors have F-150 Raptor hubs, therefore studs are 14mm x 1.5 and wheel Torque is 150 ft-lbs.

View attachment 2054

Left to right: Ford lock kit, Ford wheel nut, Gorilla lock nut
View attachment 2055
Gorilla lock nut installed
View attachment 2056
View attachment 2057

For reference here is the matching Gorilla lug nuts (to the Gorilla locks as shown above) 14mm x 1.5 in the 13/16" socket size, same size as OEM
View attachment 2058

However, the diameter of the Gorilla locks where the socket fits is .900 in diameter, therefore these 14mm x 1.5 in the 7/8" socket size may match even better.
View attachment 2059
I bought a vehicle that showed up with locks on all four wheel’s but no keys owner said was in tool kit but no. So a friend that has a high end detail shop had a (wheel lock extraction kit) had several sizes and removed all four in a few minutes. Like my dad use to say….locks are for honest people !!

OP
TurboS

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
I bought a vehicle that showed up with locks on all four wheel’s but no keys owner said was in tool kit but no. So a friend that has a high end detail shop had a (wheel lock extraction kit) had several sizes and removed all four in a few minutes. Like my dad use to say….locks are for honest people !!
Agreed, it's more of making it a hassle for a thief encouraging them to move to a easier grab. The Spare is the easiest grab especially with 1/2 the nuts and they are only snug. In Detriot when the manufactures install locks the thiefs simply break the window and grab the key from the convenient designed storage location.

Top Member Reactions