Wizz

Aug 16, 2023
Gallery
Washington, Utah
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Audi RS6
Why didn't Ford put the 3.5 Ecoboost in the Bronco Raptor? The extra hp would've been nice.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Why didn't Ford put the 3.5 Ecoboost in the Bronco Raptor? The extra hp would've been nice.
Because MAP, Michigan Assembly Plant, is tooled for the latest Ecoboost engines called Nano series. The 2.3L, 2.7L, & 3.0L are the Nano series family of engines. To accommodate the 3.5L would have required plant tooling changes and shutdown. By staying within the Nano family all the various vehicle configurations may proceed down the assembly line at any time.

Same situation for our Fenders, they are as wide they could be to feasible fit thru the MAP paint booth. Ford would have rather had larger painted fenders but that would have required plant shutdown and millions in updating the paint booth.

Gibby1392

Apr 16, 2023
Gallery
Washington
Military
US Navy
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2019 Dodge Charger Scatpack
Dang, and there I thought the 3.5 was just too big for the frame or something 😂

OP
W

Wizz

Aug 16, 2023
Gallery
Washington, Utah
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Audi RS6
Because MAP, Michigan Assembly Plant, is tooled for the latest Ecoboost engines called Nano series. The 2.3L, 2.7L, & 3.0L are the Nano series family of engines. To accommodate the 3.5L would have required plant tooling changes and shutdown. By staying within the Nano family all the various vehicle configurations may proceed down the assembly line at any time.

Same situation for our Fenders, they are as wide they could be to feasible fit thru the MAP paint booth. Ford would have rather had larger painted fenders but that would have required plant shutdown and millions in updating the paint booth.
Is the 3.5 actually a bigger motor or is it just tuned differently?

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Is the 3.5 actually a bigger motor or is it just tuned differently?
Not sure on physical dimensions, only weights 4 lbs more that the 3.0 at 449 vs 445 lbs. 3.5L is an older design derived from the 3.5L Duratec engine.

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
3.5 might “sound” bigger and better but I’m willing to bet there are many reasons why we’re better off with what’s offered and just don’t know any better.

Fords decisions to go with the 3.0 are certainly down to assembly and manufacturing than anything else but there are some aspects of the 3.0 that might be better suited for the BRaptor than the 3.5.

But if a BRaptor R gets announced with 3.5 or anything more terrifying I’ll probably be making calls to get in line for one.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
3.5 might “sound” bigger and better but I’m willing to bet there are many reasons why we’re better off with what’s offered and just don’t know any better.

Fords decisions to go with the 3.0 are certainly down to assembly and manufacturing than anything else but there are some aspects of the 3.0 that might be better suited for the BRaptor than the 3.5.

But if a BRaptor R gets announced with 3.5 or anything more terrifying I’ll probably be making calls to get in line for one.
I agree, the 3.0L ecoboost appears to be the best choice and provides us with the latest technology.

My thoughts...

A BRaptor R if gas only, would need to be the 5.2 Predator transplanted with transmission from the Raptor R. Anything less wouldn't be a significant enough difference to warrant the cost. This could be a post production conversion performed at one of the Ford Performance partners/shops. It would also be very expensive, probably more than the Raptor R, which is one of the reason's it may never happen through Ford Performance.

Or, possibly the same 3.0 ecoboost with electric hybrid for acceleration, this would be a major engineering/design change more suited to the Gen 7 Bronco Raptor.

Top Member Reactions