What did you do to your Bronco Raptor today?

DallasCajun

Jan 6, 2023
Gallery
Dallas
Current Ride
23 Ford Bronco Raptor
It occurred to me when I took the top off the other day that the front brackets for the IAG interior lights might interfere (if not rub/tear) through the JTops Bimini Sunshade when I install them. If you look closely, the front brackets sit above the top edge of the interior trim covers relatively close to where the JTops will be placed underneath the B-Pillar Raptor brace. Given the JTops appears to fit pretty snuggly (which is a very good thing), I saw a point of potential concern.

D488011B-587E-40CD-A0ED-BB676B8D22A6.jpeg

1A29BBC8-7B93-40AE-87BC-588A20813DED.jpeg

So what I decided was to remove the IAG braces for the front lights and use some Velcro strips to attach the lights to the trim cover panels. This way I’m removing the potential fitment and wear issues of the JTops while also reducing the profile of the lights as well as removing the metal bracket from the interior. I did consider whether this would be an issue with airbag deployment, but the strength of the Velcro should be no match for the deployment of the airbag.

B6A2DAE4-1665-4B90-AB80-ED1405B77A38.jpeg

CBEECDEA-5986-4F25-BDFE-A4BBCC3A6F0F.jpeg

I considered placing the light within the inset of the trim panel cover but I saw that as another potential issue related to the JTops fitting under the brace as well. Once the JTops is installed I may ultimately consider trimming the tab from the light to clean up the look a little more, but that will be a decision made later.

As for the rear brackets, no need as they sit below the top level and therefore are out of the way. But given they are basically a long lever (light + bracket) I’ve noticed that they tend to tilt over time. If I decide to trim the front lights then I might just to the same for the rear: remove the brackets, trim the extra from the rear (removing the branding) and reducing the overall footprint.

D489CDC8-1700-4B1F-A597-749DC98A5802.jpeg

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
It occurred to me when I took the top off the other day that the front brackets for the IAG interior lights might interfere (if not rub/tear) through the JTops Bimini Sunshade when I install them. If you look closely, the front brackets sit above the top edge of the interior trim covers relatively close to where the JTops will be placed underneath the B-Pillar Raptor brace. Given the JTops appears to fit pretty snuggly (which is a very good thing), I saw a point of potential concern.

View attachment 7056

View attachment 7057

So what I decided was to remove the IAG braces for the front lights and use some Velcro strips to attach the lights to the trim cover panels. This way I’m removing the potential fitment and wear issues of the JTops while also reducing the profile of the lights as well as removing the metal bracket from the interior. I did consider whether this would be an issue with airbag deployment, but the strength of the Velcro should be no match for the deployment of the airbag.

View attachment 7058

View attachment 7059

I considered placing the light within the inset of the trim panel cover but I saw that as another potential issue related to the JTops fitting under the brace as well. Once the JTops is installed I may ultimately consider trimming the tab from the light to clean up the look a little more, but that will be a decision made later.

As for the rear brackets, no need as they sit below the top level and therefore are out of the way. But given they are basically a long lever (light + bracket) I’ve noticed that they tend to tilt over time. If I decide to trim the front lights then I might just to the same for the rear: remove the brackets, trim the extra from the rear (removing the branding) and reducing the overall footprint.

View attachment 7060
Nice catch and solution. I had wondered if they could pivot over time with the single mounting point. Another option on the rear is to try a "External Tooth Lock Washer" sandwiched between the 2 brackets to offer resistance to pivoting.
1679849149749.png

1679849174497.png

As we have seen, the airbag deployment pivots the plastic trim upwards, at least the upper portion of the trim where you have the light velcro'd. As seen in the front seat photo of this Salvaged Bronco Raptor.

SikhBraptor

Sep 27, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
Corvette Z06
Current Ride #2
Honda S2000
Not today but recently

Happy with the functional mods. I need to do something to the back.

Next few things...

Custom decals
Matching beadlock color to custom decals.
Nice! what brands are the lights? Can you post pictures of them on at night time?

JohnGalt

Founding Member
🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2022
Gallery
Sacramento/Tahoe
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2023 Land Rover Defender 110
On this weeks episode of WDYDTYBRT, Randy pays The price for yesterdays mischief. Enjoying an odd day below the snow line with a couple fo Gold Country Broncos on Walker Ridge, around Indian Valley Reservoir and a spirited descent on a snaking shelf road down to Clear Lake means taking out the pressure washer, hoses, buckets, microfiber doodads, winded and the tire shine Shortly thereafter. No free lunch here.

Before and after..

D5C39815-6D7C-4F06-91FC-4C11B5EC362F.jpeg

E997D453-7AC9-480E-ADEC-EA1EC79D97E0.jpeg

29880262-10A7-4141-B5A4-B306F8EB4070.jpeg

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
US Army Military Police K9
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police
Wow, I am impressed. Hope to do some trail riding in Tennessee next month. I do like the black gills.

OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
On this weeks episode of WDYDTYBRT, Randy pays The price for yesterdays mischief. Enjoying an odd day below the snow line with a couple fo Gold Country Broncos on Walker Ridge, around Indian Valley Reservoir and a spirited descent on a snaking shelf road down to Clear Lake means taking out the pressure washer, hoses, buckets, microfiber doodads, winded and the tire shine Shortly thereafter. No free lunch here.

Before and after..

View attachment 7076
d5c39815-6d7c-4f06-91fc-4c11b5ec362f-jpeg.7076

This picture is definitely Bronco Raptor of the Month material!

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Disassembled and painted brake calipers and brackets with G2 Brake Caliper Paint custom color matched Code Orange. Decided to just remove pads, pad hardware, and rear rotors for painting on the vehicle thereby not disrupting the hydralics. About 2 hours to disassemble and clean with supplied brake cleaner which had minimal brake dust with only 500 break-in miles. Another 5 hours for 3 coats of actual continous painting with supplied brush. This is a 2 part epoxy with 4-6 hours of working time. Without removing the brackets I was able to paint 100% of calipers and 90+% of brackets. I will have reassembled by next weekend to see if they actually have much visual impact thru the OEM wheels. I will ceramic coat them before assembly, that way they will stay relatively clean post high pressure touchless car washes.

0FEC8104-7FC2-4DE4-8872-66C0B74F18B5.jpeg

8A1031C0-1030-4675-A6AA-1F4817EE120A.jpeg

9D316EB5-51B8-4FC3-B9F2-0B2BBB65CB5A.jpeg

80F39EE9-0794-40F3-8AC8-B4627C6EC2F8.jpeg

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA
While I had the Code Orange epoxy I hand painted the “R” since I’m still waiting on my new OEM diff cover to arrive for modification.
View attachment 7094
wow. A ways back, I was going to comment on your PPF 'hobby' (of 20 years, I think you said) by noting that you must be a man of incredible patience...which is, after all, a virtue. I think it's definitely appropriate to make that comment now. Cool projects...done with obvious care and attention. I respect that.

fuhrius

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2022
Gallery
Los Gatos, CA

Before and after..

View attachment 7076
View attachment 7078
View attachment 7077
how cool to have a place like that nearby to get out and use the vehicle as intended.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
wow. A ways back, I was going to comment on your PPF 'hobby' (of 20 years, I think you said) by noting that you must be a man of incredible patience...which is, after all, a virtue. I think it's definitely appropriate to make that comment now. Cool projects...done with obvious care and attention. I respect that.
Thank you, appreciated. During those 5 hours of painting I keep thinking this may not even be visually noticeable and it would have been easier to install new Winwood or Brembo brakes, but that's another expensive project with questionable value for a Bronco Raptor.
My wife seen the painted calipers, her comment was "what color are you going to paint mine" as her Badlands is scheduled to be built end of April and I've already committed to a full PPF on it, steps, and interior conversion to all black.

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
US Army Military Police K9
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder
Former Police
Looks great you have some fantastic skills, and Patience.

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
While I had the Code Orange epoxy I hand painted the “R” since I’m still waiting on my new OEM diff cover to arrive for modification.
View attachment 7094
Great work on this and the calipers, love the detail. Curious as to what you are going to be doing with the other diff cover you mentioned you are modifying?

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Great work on this and the calipers, love the detail. Curious as to what you are going to be doing with the other diff cover you mentioned you are modifying?
Thank you, I will remove the casting risers, polish it out, then have it powder coated and use new SS hardware like I did with my OEM superduty aluminum diff cover. I could have modified the one on there, however I hate the gear lube odor and prefer a quick swap.
37DF2FEE-0519-4DC5-BCDD-51149C2AD4AE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
I installed a UPR single-valve catch can on my BR today. :cool:

TheLawnDart

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 25, 2022
Gallery
Ft Worth
Military
Air Force
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Last edited by a moderator:

TheLawnDart

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Dec 25, 2022
Gallery
Ft Worth
Military
Air Force
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Appears to be a good test environment, how did it do with keeping interior dry and moisture free?
Inside is spotless and install was much easier than anticipated! The light leaking through to the inside and the sound of rain, made me want to camp with it on. As for install I just rolled it out completely, threw the pole in the car, found the front logo, threw it over the truck, installed pole and clipped it down. Took less than 5 min for the first time trying it. I did notice one of the straps was missing a hook though, so I’ll have to reach out and see about getting one, but I found something under the car to just loop the strap around anyway.

Top Member Reactions