Founding Member
Sep 16, 2021
Gallery
FBG TX
Current Ride
2023 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2022 Ram TRX
The upper plastic portion surrounding the tow hooks is removed by the exposed black plastic push pins followed by a couple of metal hidden clips near the tow hooks. Once the exposed push pins are removed (I used a plastic panel removal tool), gently pull outward to un-lodge remaining hidden clips. The silver steel bash plate just has the 4 large bolts, front upper 2 need removed, lower back 2 are slotted, and it's heavy. I would recommend removing them and dropping off since it's a 10 minute task to remove.
Awesome, thanks! I will get these popped and dropped off. :cool:

BRaptorBoy

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
British Columbia, Canada
PPF.. For those of you that have installed it, when it comes down to gloss or satin. Which one is showing scratches or not showing scratches from being out on the trail and getting rubbed by branches or whatever may come in contact with it?

Obiwan

Mar 4, 2023
Gallery
Southwest
Current Ride
Raptor
PPF.. For those of you that have installed it, when it comes down to gloss or satin. Which one is showing scratches or not showing scratches from being out on the trail and getting rubbed by branches or whatever may come in contact with it?
I think that woud be a bit hard to answer as it would also be film specific. Most of the higher end films are self healing, but some are far better than others.

BRaptorBoy

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
British Columbia, Canada
I think that woud be a bit hard to answer as it would also be film specific. Most of the higher end films are self healing, but some are far better than others.
I agree Obiwan. I will be installing the higher end film(Avery Dennison, if I recall) and thankful for the healing properties of these films. I am torn between applying the satin/stealth to the entire vehicle or doing gloss on painted surfaces and satin/stealth on fenders.
With many of the mountain trails/roads here in BC, Canada being overgrown the PPF will see plenty abuse. Just curious to know what scratches/marks others are seeing on their rigs.

Last edited:

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Below screen shot taken from the Xpel care site page, I wasn't sure if the Xpel stealth (satin) was also self healing. Google the film your installer will be using to find if there are similar characteristics.
1678464552317.png

Last edited:

Ironmike

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2022
Gallery
California
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
2021 Rubicon JLU
Below screen shot taken from the Xpel care site page, I wasn't sure if the Xpel stealth (satin) also self healed. Google the film your installer will be using to find if there are similar characteristics.
View attachment 6658
The operative term here is "light scratches". My experience offroading is that heavy scratches will come into play from time to time. Not sure how well the PPF will hold up then. Possibly the reason that most hardcore wheelers don't bother with it (besides the cost).

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
Video of un-cut PPF sheets being installed on a Bronco Raptor.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
The operative term here is "light scratches". My experience offroading is that heavy scratches will come into play from time to time. Not sure how well the PPF will hold up then. Possibly the reason that most hardcore wheelers don't bother with it (besides the cost).
Understood and the PPF has little value in protecting against dents but may help protect the paint if a paintless dent repair could be performed. Its an owners choice, not everything works for everyone. I don't have any experience with off-road scratches and if the PPF is scratched beyond the self-heal properties, I can replace the PPF for much less than a repaint, however I'm the occasional off roader. Off road frequency should also play into ones decision. This video below demonstrates the PPF being abused beyond self healing and will it really protect the paint.

Tye

🏆 BR of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Gallery
Bay Area
Current Ride
Bronco Raptor
Current Ride #2
Porsche GT3
For those that have done PPF, did you installer need to remove the side steps and rock slider to do the body area under the doors, or did they just squeeze it in there? Ive never been a fan of PPF shops removing/reinstalling parts.

TurboS

Staff member
Founding Member
Feb 24, 2022
Gallery
Michigan
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Raptor
For those that have done PPF, did you installer need to remove the side steps and rock slider to do the body area under the doors, or did they just squeeze it in there? Ive never been a fan of PPF shops removing/reinstalling parts.
PPF installers do not need to remove the steps or rock rails to add PPF to all the smooth painted area under the doors. I installed PPF also on the OEM textured chip resistant paint which required removal of the steps and rock rails, but I'm not really sure if the PPF was needed in that area.

95BK9

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2022
Gallery
Ohio
Military
US Army Military Police K9
Current Ride
2023 Aera 51 Braptor
Current Ride #2
2006 Ranger FX4 Level II
First Responder